Skip to main content

My journey to purpose

Have you ever been in a moment when everything comes together and you see “the light”? That was me on that morning of March 2003.

Let's say that my early days in Canada were not the way I  had    imagined them to be (there was no money falling down  off of  trees as I had predicted) ;   but  I was happy. It was my fourth month working at a radio station. I was not getting paid but I  was having good times. I was learning a lot thanks to a mentor who became a very good friend over the years. I was working on a project that, in time, would generate money  for  the radio station ( I was hoping there would be enough to  secure  me a contract) and my mentor was teaching me how to do it.

Long story short, the radio got the money, but to my great surprise, I could not get hired because there was a statement in the grant contract that made me ineligible for the job. I did all this work for somebody else! How great! But I kept a positive attitude though. At least I  had learnt how to write grant proposals (the glass is always half full  with me ). So, the hiring process began but we did not have  too  many  candidates for the job ; this was mainly because many  applicants were not eligible.

At that time I had made a couple of friends among which  included one guy on the sixth floor of our office building. He was a self made man who liked  helping new immigrants.  One  day he called me and told me that there was a lady who was looking desperately for a job. He thought our radio station would be a great fit for her. I met the lady. Desperate she was. I told her I would take her resume but I was not the one pulling the trigger. She  had to go through the interview process like the others.

I was amazed by my new home, but I was so homesick. I would  spend  countless hours on the Internet sending e-mails to my friends back home.  I  was a little bit surprised by the  number  of e-mails I was  receiving from different people back home, all of them thanking me for what I'had  done for them.
I never  realized  I  had done all those things they were talking about. I was just having fun, doing what I loved to do and enjoying every bit of them. Along the  way , I made a difference in people's lives without even realizing it. What a story!

That was my commercial break.

Coming back to the radio station lady. After her interview, I got a call from the president of the radio station asking me to  contact  the lady to let her know that she  had  got the job.  I  did. I  wasn't able to get through to her on her phone,  so  I left her a message. As I was reading the bunch of e-mails I was still  receiving  from  my  friends back home ( at this point, you may be thinking that I was not working because I was  checking personal e-mails at the office, but I was), I was listening to a tape from a coaching program I was part of. The guy on the tape was so funny but he was talking about good stuff. Towards the end of the tape the guy  said: “There is a purpose for your life. You may not know it, but there is. And you will meet the people at the right moment, who will be there for a reason ; to teach you something.”

That was amazing. Then, the phone  rang . It was the lady  on the other end of the line. She got my message. She was in tears. She  thanked  me so much, but I did not take the credit (maybe I should have, just  so that I could look good).  What   baffled  me the most was what she said to me. She went: “I am glad I got the position, but most importantly I am so blessed because I will be working with you”. She did not know that she was coming to replace me (me, being ineligible  for  the position). What could I say after that?

All of a sudden, everything came together at that moment. The guy on the tape, the e-mails I was reading, the lady in tears on the phone.....I got it. I found my purpose!!!   My job here on this earth is to make a difference in people's lives doing what I love to do without expecting anything in return.
That was it. The lady on the phone was there for a reason. She was there to take my job (that  was  not the most exciting part), but she was also there to make me realize how my life  had  been so far ;  Giving unconditionally.

I  started crying. I cried like a baby. I went to my mentor's office crying and I told him what happened.
His look was comforting. He  had  been there. He understood (he did not even mention my ugly face when I  was crying).

Since that day, I  have known what my job is. And I  believe that  you are part of it too (aren't you reading my blog?).
Moral of the story: Do you want to know what your life purpose is? Just check your personal e-mails at the office  (just kidding....)
 
Always a pleasure.
Patrick
The Journeyman
pbizindavyi6@gmail.com

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Journey to my wedding

Where do I start? I don't really know. As I am waiting for my flight at Kigali airport, with tears in my eyes, I am thinking about the last few days. There are no words that can explain what I have experienced in this month of December 2010. As Phil Collins said, it's another day in paradise. The person who said that words are powerful was so right. It took a few words from my then girlfriend, now wife (are you kidding me!!!!), to start a series of events that led me to this moment. She just said: “Honey, this long distance thing is killing me”. Having been in a couple of long distance relationships, I knew what she meant. This time, it was different. I had to do something, otherwise, this relationship would end up like the other ones. I had promised myself to do whatever it took to make this one work. As I hung up the phone, I thought I had to move mountains. I had to find a way to meet her. Originally, my intention was to visit her in July 2011, however, this felt like a cent

My Journey to my meeting with Bob Proctor

He is a hero of mine, I have studied his material for years, I had met him once and at that time he even signed one of the books he gave to me. But, spending three hours in an intimate setting, hearing him calling my name, him talking to me from a few feet away was just a dream come true. Bob Proctor is simply a genius. He has been studying the laws of success for over fifty years, but he has a simple way of explaining things that I found myself saying “wow” all the time. I have listened to his audios, read his book and saw hundreds of his videos. It has come to the point where I can finish his sentences before he finishes them. But seeing him live telling his story is another thing. Call me crazy, but I just believe that I will end up working with him. I don't know how or when this is going to happen, but I know I will. It is with the same belief that I know I will one day meet Michael Jordan and Nelson Mandela (being with Pathe'O few weeks ago made me feel I am not that far

My Journey to a meeting with Gandhi

You must be thinking that I lost my mind when I say that I met Gandhi. Don't worry. I am doing fine. I met him only in a story that I heard. Do you want to hear it? I know you do. So I will tell the story Long time ago, there was a lady in India whose son was eating too much sugar. She tried so many times in vain to ask him to stop eating sugar. After a while, she thought that Gandhi could help. She took her son to Gandhi and begged him to tell him to stop eating sugar. He carefully listen to the lady, and then went: “Please come back in two weeks, I will be able to help you” Two weeks later, the lady came back to see Gandhi. The Mahatma looked in the young boy's eyes and told him: “Please stop eating too much sugar”. That was it. The lady could not believe it. “Do you mean I had to wait two weeks for you to ask my son to stop eating sugar” she said. “Why couldn't tell him in the first place?” Then, Gandhi simply said: “You see madam. Two weeks ago, I was still eating sugar