Skip to main content

My journey to Mali

Have you ever been to a place where you feel like “how in the world did I get here?”

That's how I am feeling now as I am writing this blog in the heat (I will take it anytime) of the beautiful city of Bamako, capital city of the Republic of Mali (West Africa).

The journey started 2 years ago when two of my co-workers told me that they were going to Africa, in a project that they initiated 2 years prior to our conversation. I wanted to know more about it. They told me that  it  all started while sharing a cup of coffee;they thought about going to Africa just for fun. The fun became a dream: to make a difference in kids'lives. For 2 long years they  saved money with all intentions focused on going. This time, they were ready to go. Everything was ready.

What could I say? I am the kind of guy that likes to plan things. But while planning, these people were doing. To tell  you  the truth : I was both mad and inspired. Mad because they were doing something I was planning to do for  a long  time and inspired because I could learn from them. Above all, they didn't  apply  for  grants and sponsorships, instead they used their own money!!!!

I couldn't resist. I had to be part of this.

At first, I  didn't have much to offer to them, because it was  only one week  before their trip.  Nevertheless, I did a radio show with them as my guests (that is how far I could go). The more I listened to them, the more inspired I  became. I almost had tears in my eyes. They were  also emotional .  Some of them are of African  ancestry but had never been there. What a big heart!!!!

I couldn't wait for them to  return.  And they did. They came with pictures  and  they were so excited about what they did .  I was so proud of them. I did a second radio show with them (don't ever think I have a lack of subjects in my show). This time it was too much for me. I had to be part of this. If they did not want me, I would do it anyway. Fortunately , they wanted me to be part of their journey (my charms maybe. Oh I forgot to tell you they were all ladies. So I was in good company).

I called a couple of friends and asked them to help (I have connections too). One is a movie director and the other is an expert  editor . They did a 7 minute documentary of the project for free (these ladies can inspire anybody!!!). Since then, I have been part of what ever they are doing. I am offering my talents of...(I just forgot which talents I have. I just have too many lol).

The next step of the project was to return  to Mali and  complete  the second phase of the project they had started. But before that, the ladies had to set up their own non-for-profit organization  through  which they would do all the upcoming projects. The name of the organization is “Leave your Mark /Laisse ta marque” (bilingual). What a  great  name!!

So here I am with them in Mali, at the eve of their second project. What will be my role? Whatever they ask me to do. I don't really care. I wanted to be part of this, and I am now. It's an honour to be with a group of people who will make history. I am documenting everything they are doing, maybe the Toronto film festival will have to invite me to show the movie of the project (they will have to insist though).

Moral of the story? Do you want to go to Africa? Share a cup of coffee with friends ........you will end up there.
Always a pleasure.

Patrick
The Journeyman
pbizindavyi6@gmail.com

Comments

  1. Very exciting story Patrick!

    Amazing to hear how your adventure grew from sharing a cup of coffee!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ola Pat.

    I am just realizing how I missed alot by not seing all those years ... Keep it up and never never loose your faith! Faith in Life, Love, Respect. Did it tell you that I like your smiling eyes! Cassssssssss

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

My Journey to my wedding

Where do I start? I don't really know. As I am waiting for my flight at Kigali airport, with tears in my eyes, I am thinking about the last few days. There are no words that can explain what I have experienced in this month of December 2010. As Phil Collins said, it's another day in paradise. The person who said that words are powerful was so right. It took a few words from my then girlfriend, now wife (are you kidding me!!!!), to start a series of events that led me to this moment. She just said: “Honey, this long distance thing is killing me”. Having been in a couple of long distance relationships, I knew what she meant. This time, it was different. I had to do something, otherwise, this relationship would end up like the other ones. I had promised myself to do whatever it took to make this one work. As I hung up the phone, I thought I had to move mountains. I had to find a way to meet her. Originally, my intention was to visit her in July 2011, however, this felt like a cent

My Journey to a meeting with Gandhi

You must be thinking that I lost my mind when I say that I met Gandhi. Don't worry. I am doing fine. I met him only in a story that I heard. Do you want to hear it? I know you do. So I will tell the story Long time ago, there was a lady in India whose son was eating too much sugar. She tried so many times in vain to ask him to stop eating sugar. After a while, she thought that Gandhi could help. She took her son to Gandhi and begged him to tell him to stop eating sugar. He carefully listen to the lady, and then went: “Please come back in two weeks, I will be able to help you” Two weeks later, the lady came back to see Gandhi. The Mahatma looked in the young boy's eyes and told him: “Please stop eating too much sugar”. That was it. The lady could not believe it. “Do you mean I had to wait two weeks for you to ask my son to stop eating sugar” she said. “Why couldn't tell him in the first place?” Then, Gandhi simply said: “You see madam. Two weeks ago, I was still eating sugar

My Journey to my meeting with Bob Proctor

He is a hero of mine, I have studied his material for years, I had met him once and at that time he even signed one of the books he gave to me. But, spending three hours in an intimate setting, hearing him calling my name, him talking to me from a few feet away was just a dream come true. Bob Proctor is simply a genius. He has been studying the laws of success for over fifty years, but he has a simple way of explaining things that I found myself saying “wow” all the time. I have listened to his audios, read his book and saw hundreds of his videos. It has come to the point where I can finish his sentences before he finishes them. But seeing him live telling his story is another thing. Call me crazy, but I just believe that I will end up working with him. I don't know how or when this is going to happen, but I know I will. It is with the same belief that I know I will one day meet Michael Jordan and Nelson Mandela (being with Pathe'O few weeks ago made me feel I am not that far