Skip to main content

My journey to the future

This is the first time that I am writing a blog with tears in my eyes. Don't worry, nothing happened to me. I just saw the movie “Rudy”.. If I were you, I would rent and watch this movie, but I am not you, so I won't be doing anything.

Have you ever watched a movie that reminds you of your life? That is what has just happened to me. I watched the movie “Rudy” for the third time just because I had no other movie to see. It has been a while since there's been a new movie in my house (I recently moved close to a movie theatre ...that should explain why).

As a kid, Rudy dreamed about playing for the Notre Dame College football team. When he said that the first time, everyone laughed at him. Who wouldn't? He had no athletic ability, his family could not afford to send him to college, and in fact everybody's dream in the family was to work on the factory plant as it had been the tradition for generations.

But they all forgot one thing. Rudy had heart. He was willing to outwork anybody, to do whatever it took to make his dream come to pass. It was a tough road, he had to earn everything he needed to succeed, and no one predicted he would do it. But he did... The only game he played for the Notre Dame team was a classic. The entire stadium was chanting “Rudy, Rudy...” (Can you chant for me please?).

As I watched the movie, two conversations ran through my mind. One was when I was in the 10th grade; I overheard someone saying “Patrick wants to play, but he will never make it in Basketball”. The second comment came from my friend Charles who told me once on the phone “you may not have all the talent, but your determination will always open doors for you.”

Ten years went by between these two conversations and so many things happened along the way. As far as I can remember, there haven’t been any free lunches for me. I had to fight for everything. It took me three years to make the University Basketball team, and for most of the time I was on the bench. It took me nine months, working for nothing, before being offered a contract at the radio station; it took me four years to win my first championship as a basketball coach. The list goes on and on, but remember this, I had fun doing it, and so far, I can proudly say that I am happy with where I am at (a tap on my shoulder please).

Now the reason why I cried when I was watching “Rudy” was because it reminded me of a course I took in March 2009 that revealed to me something I did not know (and I did not know that I did not know, if you know what I mean).

Now Rudy was fighting for everything because he wanted to prove to everyone, who said he could not make it, wrong! He was also doing it so that his father could be proud of him..

This is why, at one point, he wanted to quit. In fact, he did for a while until one of his friends told him that he wanted to play for the wrong reasons. His friend told him that he did not have to prove anything to anyone. This friend went on to tell him that people would always find something to judge him on and that he needed to forget them. Instead, he needed to realize that his dream belonged to him and that only when he recognized this would his dream come true. He told him that he needed to focus on playing because he liked it and because it was his ticket to getting an education. As you may have already guessed.....He went back to practice after that conversation..

So back to me now. The reason why I liked this movie was because initially I was like Rudy. My life had been for a long time “I'm gonna prove you wrong”. It's not a bad thing (I think that is what made Michael Jordan ...MICHAEL JORDAN), however, that changed after March 2009 when I enrolled in this course. Since then I have changed my approach and with that came some good results. I learnt, like Rudy, that I did not have to prove anything to anyone, including myself. I realized that all I need to do was to keep on dreaming and enjoying the ride, knowing that the dream would come true if I didn't quit and if I put in the required work. That is my present, and that will be my future and I assure you that there will be no other movie that may come my way that will ever change my mind.

Moral of the story? If you want to see your future, just watch the movie “Rudy” and your future will be as I predict: You will cry too.

Always a pleasure

Patrick

The Journeyman.
pbizindavyi6@gmail.com

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Journey to my wedding

Where do I start? I don't really know. As I am waiting for my flight at Kigali airport, with tears in my eyes, I am thinking about the last few days. There are no words that can explain what I have experienced in this month of December 2010. As Phil Collins said, it's another day in paradise. The person who said that words are powerful was so right. It took a few words from my then girlfriend, now wife (are you kidding me!!!!), to start a series of events that led me to this moment. She just said: “Honey, this long distance thing is killing me”. Having been in a couple of long distance relationships, I knew what she meant. This time, it was different. I had to do something, otherwise, this relationship would end up like the other ones. I had promised myself to do whatever it took to make this one work. As I hung up the phone, I thought I had to move mountains. I had to find a way to meet her. Originally, my intention was to visit her in July 2011, however, this felt like a cent

My Journey to my meeting with Bob Proctor

He is a hero of mine, I have studied his material for years, I had met him once and at that time he even signed one of the books he gave to me. But, spending three hours in an intimate setting, hearing him calling my name, him talking to me from a few feet away was just a dream come true. Bob Proctor is simply a genius. He has been studying the laws of success for over fifty years, but he has a simple way of explaining things that I found myself saying “wow” all the time. I have listened to his audios, read his book and saw hundreds of his videos. It has come to the point where I can finish his sentences before he finishes them. But seeing him live telling his story is another thing. Call me crazy, but I just believe that I will end up working with him. I don't know how or when this is going to happen, but I know I will. It is with the same belief that I know I will one day meet Michael Jordan and Nelson Mandela (being with Pathe'O few weeks ago made me feel I am not that far

My Journey to a meeting with Gandhi

You must be thinking that I lost my mind when I say that I met Gandhi. Don't worry. I am doing fine. I met him only in a story that I heard. Do you want to hear it? I know you do. So I will tell the story Long time ago, there was a lady in India whose son was eating too much sugar. She tried so many times in vain to ask him to stop eating sugar. After a while, she thought that Gandhi could help. She took her son to Gandhi and begged him to tell him to stop eating sugar. He carefully listen to the lady, and then went: “Please come back in two weeks, I will be able to help you” Two weeks later, the lady came back to see Gandhi. The Mahatma looked in the young boy's eyes and told him: “Please stop eating too much sugar”. That was it. The lady could not believe it. “Do you mean I had to wait two weeks for you to ask my son to stop eating sugar” she said. “Why couldn't tell him in the first place?” Then, Gandhi simply said: “You see madam. Two weeks ago, I was still eating sugar