Skip to main content

My Journey to the School of Life

You may be asking yourselves which school of life am I talking about. Hang on, you will soon find out.

I like talking with my friend and mentor Andrae. We share many things in common, one being our passion for Basketball. You may be thinking: "Here we go again with another Basketball story...". Well, I am the one writing this blog, so I am in charge lol.

One day I was talking to Andrae when he made a statement that has remained with me ever since. He said that Basketball is the best sport that teaches about life (sorry hockey fans..). I couldn’t agree more. My fellow NBA fans would remember last year’s play - offs when Lebron James made a shot with less than a second left in the game, leading his team to victory (they did not win the series against Superman but that was a heck of a game).

How many times in our lives have we found a solution to our problem at the last second, when everything seemed to be inevitably leading to disaster? (I can see you nodding…). That's when we became Lebron James (maybe less athletic, but still…). How about working hard at our game preparing for the big event? Basketball is one of the most physical games (unless you are always on the bench, like someone I know who has since discovered his passion for blogging. Know who I'm talking about?). You see? There are parallels everywhere.

My journey to that discovery dates back to when I coached Basketball. The year was 1999; we were still working hard, but still no championship. Four years had passed, some of our players had left, and new ones replaced them, but still no ring on our fingers (if you know what I mean). Nevertheless, we made sure that we had fun along the way (boy did we have fun!!).

Unannounced, something happened (I can't explain), but we all felt it. We knew that the time had come. The time to be champions - and this time we were ready!. One of the players even went as far as announcing on TV that we would become the champions that year. I think she broke all the bridges behind us. We had to perform if we didn’t want to look ridiculous.

Fast forward. Last game of the season! There was a tie between the two teams at the top; us and another team. They had beaten us before and were expected to be the champions. The last game was just a formality. We were facing a weaker team, so we were just cruising hoping to win the championship the following season.

Little did we know that there was something we did not know (or maybe forgot). The team that was supposed to be the champions was playing their last game on another court downtown, and they were also facing a weaker team. They were supposed to be cruising. Guess what? They didn’t. They lost the game.

Here we were, playing for the fun of it, thinking that our season was over. To our great surprise and drawing closer to us we heard people shouting, cars honking.. All the commotion was coming from people who were at the other court downtown. They came with the good news. I couldn’t believe it. We were the new champions...just like my player declared on television before the start of the season. What a relief. That was one of the best moments of my life. We went on to win three consecutive championships.

So why did I tell you all of that? (Maybe to show you how great a coach I was lol). Think about this: We thought we lost the season, but there was a game going on at a place we could not see. And the result of that game made us champions!!!

Maybe this could be in the curriculum of the school of life thing. When we face a tough situation, we tend to think that this is all there is. Maybe (just maybe) there is a game going on at a place we can't yet see. And that game may result in us winning ...overcoming, succeeding, and maybe even achieving our long awaited dream... Just a thought!

Moral of the story? Do you want to win in life? Just play Basketball and you will live by faith not by sight.

Always a pleasure

Patrick

The Journeyman.
pbizindavyi6@gmail.com

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Journey to my wedding

Where do I start? I don't really know. As I am waiting for my flight at Kigali airport, with tears in my eyes, I am thinking about the last few days. There are no words that can explain what I have experienced in this month of December 2010. As Phil Collins said, it's another day in paradise. The person who said that words are powerful was so right. It took a few words from my then girlfriend, now wife (are you kidding me!!!!), to start a series of events that led me to this moment. She just said: “Honey, this long distance thing is killing me”. Having been in a couple of long distance relationships, I knew what she meant. This time, it was different. I had to do something, otherwise, this relationship would end up like the other ones. I had promised myself to do whatever it took to make this one work. As I hung up the phone, I thought I had to move mountains. I had to find a way to meet her. Originally, my intention was to visit her in July 2011, however, this felt like a cent

My Journey to my meeting with Bob Proctor

He is a hero of mine, I have studied his material for years, I had met him once and at that time he even signed one of the books he gave to me. But, spending three hours in an intimate setting, hearing him calling my name, him talking to me from a few feet away was just a dream come true. Bob Proctor is simply a genius. He has been studying the laws of success for over fifty years, but he has a simple way of explaining things that I found myself saying “wow” all the time. I have listened to his audios, read his book and saw hundreds of his videos. It has come to the point where I can finish his sentences before he finishes them. But seeing him live telling his story is another thing. Call me crazy, but I just believe that I will end up working with him. I don't know how or when this is going to happen, but I know I will. It is with the same belief that I know I will one day meet Michael Jordan and Nelson Mandela (being with Pathe'O few weeks ago made me feel I am not that far

My Journey to a meeting with Gandhi

You must be thinking that I lost my mind when I say that I met Gandhi. Don't worry. I am doing fine. I met him only in a story that I heard. Do you want to hear it? I know you do. So I will tell the story Long time ago, there was a lady in India whose son was eating too much sugar. She tried so many times in vain to ask him to stop eating sugar. After a while, she thought that Gandhi could help. She took her son to Gandhi and begged him to tell him to stop eating sugar. He carefully listen to the lady, and then went: “Please come back in two weeks, I will be able to help you” Two weeks later, the lady came back to see Gandhi. The Mahatma looked in the young boy's eyes and told him: “Please stop eating too much sugar”. That was it. The lady could not believe it. “Do you mean I had to wait two weeks for you to ask my son to stop eating sugar” she said. “Why couldn't tell him in the first place?” Then, Gandhi simply said: “You see madam. Two weeks ago, I was still eating sugar