Skip to main content

My Journey to what is written

As I was waiting for my flight to Toronto from Ottawa, I couldn't help but smile at what has been my life for the last couple of weeks. Ottawa was great. I met people that I haven't seen, for about 10 years, others for a couple of months. It is always great to meet with old friends.

I went to Ottawa for a conference and I had dual duties. I was one of the speakers as well as participants. My presentation was scheduled for the first day, so I got to enjoy others' presentations (as well as the free food and nice hotel room. I went just for that lol). The response to my presentation was great and while I was getting this great feedback, my mind went back 7 years ago.

Yes, it was seven years ago that I met my friend Paul. It was a fall night of 2003 when I saw this guy on the subway platform waring a nice blue jacket. I went to him and just said:"nice jacket". The guy smiled and we started chatting a little bit. He mentioned that his passion was to help people to start their own business. As I was new to Canada, I thought that this guy could help me achieve my dream. Two days later, we were sitting in a coffee shop talking about our respective dreams.

Over time, Paul and I became business partners. We wanted to achieve the same things. It was no brainer that we were meant to work together. The first thing we did was to write down on paper what we would like to do. The list went on like this: Radio and TV production, Event Planing, Projects in Africa to help kids, Public Speaking and helping people to start their own business. Did I tell you that none of us had the expertise to do all of this? Yes I had been working in a radio, but TV? No chance. Paul was still taking some courses and had some experience in client relationship management. That was it.

For a while, nothing happened (or so it seemed). All we did was meet on Saturdays to have breakfast together (Paul paying of course) and talk about our future, how we were going to change the world (at that time I did not have any change in my pocket, but talking about changing the world!!!)

Seven years later here I am, part of expert speakers at a conference in Ottawa. For the last month alone, I spoke at five different events, helped a client start his own non for profit organization and started the process of applying for government grants. Last year I went to Mali as part of a project to help kids (projects in Africa?). Currently, I am working on a documentary of the Mali project (is that TV production?) and it has been two years since I have been hosting my radio show on Fridays and Saturdays (I think this is called radio production). For the last five years I have been part of a team that organizes events for the Black History Month, and now I am helping a client to prepare his concert to be held in August this year (my guess is that this is called event planing).

How all of these things came together is a mystery. All we really did was write down our dreams and goals without having any expertise at all. My friend Paul is now a Business Consultant for the Federal Government (talking about Mister Big Shot) and to think that it was eight years ago that Paul had made this one of his goals, having no experience in the field at that time. Eight years later it's no longer a goal but a reality. Now, when we meet, we just laugh at what is happening to us. Was that easy? Are you kidding? I have never been that challenged in my life. But it's really worth it.

Moral of the story? Do you want your dreams to come true? Just write them down and you will fly to Ottawa.

Always a pleasure
Patrick
The Journeyman
pbizindavyi6@gmail.com

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Journey to my wedding

Where do I start? I don't really know. As I am waiting for my flight at Kigali airport, with tears in my eyes, I am thinking about the last few days. There are no words that can explain what I have experienced in this month of December 2010. As Phil Collins said, it's another day in paradise. The person who said that words are powerful was so right. It took a few words from my then girlfriend, now wife (are you kidding me!!!!), to start a series of events that led me to this moment. She just said: “Honey, this long distance thing is killing me”. Having been in a couple of long distance relationships, I knew what she meant. This time, it was different. I had to do something, otherwise, this relationship would end up like the other ones. I had promised myself to do whatever it took to make this one work. As I hung up the phone, I thought I had to move mountains. I had to find a way to meet her. Originally, my intention was to visit her in July 2011, however, this felt like a cent

My Journey to my meeting with Bob Proctor

He is a hero of mine, I have studied his material for years, I had met him once and at that time he even signed one of the books he gave to me. But, spending three hours in an intimate setting, hearing him calling my name, him talking to me from a few feet away was just a dream come true. Bob Proctor is simply a genius. He has been studying the laws of success for over fifty years, but he has a simple way of explaining things that I found myself saying “wow” all the time. I have listened to his audios, read his book and saw hundreds of his videos. It has come to the point where I can finish his sentences before he finishes them. But seeing him live telling his story is another thing. Call me crazy, but I just believe that I will end up working with him. I don't know how or when this is going to happen, but I know I will. It is with the same belief that I know I will one day meet Michael Jordan and Nelson Mandela (being with Pathe'O few weeks ago made me feel I am not that far

My Journey to a meeting with Gandhi

You must be thinking that I lost my mind when I say that I met Gandhi. Don't worry. I am doing fine. I met him only in a story that I heard. Do you want to hear it? I know you do. So I will tell the story Long time ago, there was a lady in India whose son was eating too much sugar. She tried so many times in vain to ask him to stop eating sugar. After a while, she thought that Gandhi could help. She took her son to Gandhi and begged him to tell him to stop eating sugar. He carefully listen to the lady, and then went: “Please come back in two weeks, I will be able to help you” Two weeks later, the lady came back to see Gandhi. The Mahatma looked in the young boy's eyes and told him: “Please stop eating too much sugar”. That was it. The lady could not believe it. “Do you mean I had to wait two weeks for you to ask my son to stop eating sugar” she said. “Why couldn't tell him in the first place?” Then, Gandhi simply said: “You see madam. Two weeks ago, I was still eating sugar