Skip to main content

My Journey to a Decision

As I am beginning a new week, I can't believe how quickly the last one went (and all the previous ones). Normally I write my blogs on Saturdays, but this time I only got a little time to write this Monday morning (please don't fire me).

I find it funny that when we are dealing with something, the entire world reminds us of exactly what we are dealing with. Just the other day, I went to the Toastmasters meeting and the theme was about having a break. I was like “please don't talk about it, I just need a break now”. This lead me to a deep reflection. “Why am I this busy?” This has been THE question that has been on my mind the last few days. I can't remember a time I was not busy, but THIS busy? Not a chance.

I made sure to take a break this week-end and to watch some Playoffs Basketball. Some trash talking with friends at Ngoma lounge did some good for me (free advertising for my friend Diego and a reminder to my friend Che that Orlando will go all the way to the Finals...)

Coming back to my Toastmaster ' s meeting, we were asked to speak about what we normally do to relax and have a break. My first reaction was “ I need some sleep man.” But, then the question came back: Why am I THIS busy?. Then, I went on stage, for about 1 minute and 49 seconds, I explained to the audience that my new way of relaxing is to say the word “NO”. You got it right. I need to say no to some commitments. This is the reason why I am this busy. I am the kind of guy who rarely says no to people (just tell me you will give me money, and you will see. I won't say no. This is a problem my friends..)

Don't get me wrong. It feels good to say yes to people. But when it comes to deliver and I realized that I have overbooked myself, I feel trapped and then comes the issue of integrity (and this is a big one). I learned a few weeks ago that without integrity nothing works. I couldn't agree more. If I say yes to something, I have to make sure that I do it. That is how I am.

To say that learning to say “no” is the only challenge would be an overstatement. I think there is something deeper than that. Why? You may ask..

This is why: I have learned over the years that whenever I make a decision to do something big, something I have never done before, something that is way outside my comfort zone, challenges always come right away. Don't ask me why, but that is how it is. These challenges are very good news for me. This is the proof that I am going in the right direction. It may seem silly, but challenges are good news. They are there to ask us if we really mean business, if we are really the kind of person who is made for the big game. And people who have overcome big challenges are people that we remember the most. Why is it that Nelson Mandela is loved by everybody? It's the result of 27 years of prison (that is my opinion)

My other opinion is that challenges are the door to the promise land. After we have dealt with them, the door is now open and we can see on the other side. Then come other challenges, sometimes bigger than the previous ones. However, now we know we can deal with them (isn't life beautiful?).

Yes, I have made a decision to make a push. And there is no turning back (Yes we can!). The challenge that came right away was being extremely busy. Am I really busy, or is it a sign that I have to let go of commitments that are not worth it (do I really have to stop watching Jon Stewart and Stephen Colbert? Please don't ask me to. They are so funny). Am I busy, or do I have to rely on my calender to book my appointments? Am I so busy, or do I have to discipline myself and wake up earlier (and this is a big one, and I know I am not the only one).

These are the questions I have to respond to before saying that I can see the promise land.

Moral of the story? Whenever you say you are going to give me some money, I will say no (for a short period of time before saying yes.)

Always a pleasure

Patrick

The Journeyman
pbizindavyi6@gmail.com

Comments

  1. hi p!

    i like to think that everything i do is a choice i have made for myself. i try very very hard not to use the word busy if i can help it. to me if life is busy it means it's speeding by. it's happening to me and not for me and because i've designed it to be so.

    i wonder if you feel busy because you are doing a lot of things (mr.popular!) and not all of them are things you WANT to be doing...

    hope you get some sleep (it's glorious and so restorative for the body!)

    looking forward to hearing you speak tonight!

    faiza

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're so right Faiza. I didn't think it this way, but you're so right. Mr Popular? I don't think so lol
    See you this evening

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

My Journey to my wedding

Where do I start? I don't really know. As I am waiting for my flight at Kigali airport, with tears in my eyes, I am thinking about the last few days. There are no words that can explain what I have experienced in this month of December 2010. As Phil Collins said, it's another day in paradise. The person who said that words are powerful was so right. It took a few words from my then girlfriend, now wife (are you kidding me!!!!), to start a series of events that led me to this moment. She just said: “Honey, this long distance thing is killing me”. Having been in a couple of long distance relationships, I knew what she meant. This time, it was different. I had to do something, otherwise, this relationship would end up like the other ones. I had promised myself to do whatever it took to make this one work. As I hung up the phone, I thought I had to move mountains. I had to find a way to meet her. Originally, my intention was to visit her in July 2011, however, this felt like a cent

My Journey to a meeting with Gandhi

You must be thinking that I lost my mind when I say that I met Gandhi. Don't worry. I am doing fine. I met him only in a story that I heard. Do you want to hear it? I know you do. So I will tell the story Long time ago, there was a lady in India whose son was eating too much sugar. She tried so many times in vain to ask him to stop eating sugar. After a while, she thought that Gandhi could help. She took her son to Gandhi and begged him to tell him to stop eating sugar. He carefully listen to the lady, and then went: “Please come back in two weeks, I will be able to help you” Two weeks later, the lady came back to see Gandhi. The Mahatma looked in the young boy's eyes and told him: “Please stop eating too much sugar”. That was it. The lady could not believe it. “Do you mean I had to wait two weeks for you to ask my son to stop eating sugar” she said. “Why couldn't tell him in the first place?” Then, Gandhi simply said: “You see madam. Two weeks ago, I was still eating sugar

My Journey to my meeting with Bob Proctor

He is a hero of mine, I have studied his material for years, I had met him once and at that time he even signed one of the books he gave to me. But, spending three hours in an intimate setting, hearing him calling my name, him talking to me from a few feet away was just a dream come true. Bob Proctor is simply a genius. He has been studying the laws of success for over fifty years, but he has a simple way of explaining things that I found myself saying “wow” all the time. I have listened to his audios, read his book and saw hundreds of his videos. It has come to the point where I can finish his sentences before he finishes them. But seeing him live telling his story is another thing. Call me crazy, but I just believe that I will end up working with him. I don't know how or when this is going to happen, but I know I will. It is with the same belief that I know I will one day meet Michael Jordan and Nelson Mandela (being with Pathe'O few weeks ago made me feel I am not that far