Skip to main content

My Journey to a dream fulfilled

A funny thing happened to me when I was in New York a few weeks ago. It was on the Saturday and we were enjoying the great conference we had been attending. In the afternoon during our 15 minute break I went out into the street to enjoy the great view of New York City.

It was a beautiful and sunny day. My friend Mike joined me outside. Off we went down the street to the building across the Madison Square Garden (I think it is the post office)

We then sat down on the stairs watching the crazy traffic in the streets of Manhattan. I started telling Mike how big a dream it was for me to just be standing outside the Madison Square Garden. This brought back memories of the sleepless nights at Kennedy’s place watching the NBA playoffs until 3 am due to time zone difference.

Then, just to relax, I decided to take my shoes off (I knew I had no holes in my socks lol). All of a sudden, Mike decided to do so. Before we knew it, another classmate joined us and did the same. Some other guy we didn’t know joined us and took off his shoes too (I guess I started a movement).

I looked at Mike, he looked at me, and we all laughed. Mike then told me: “See? You did that. You inspired all of us to do so”. It was so funny.

Fast forward. Just yesterday, I was thinking about what I should write about this week on my way home (yes, sometimes the inspiration can decide to go on vacation). Then I remembered my funny story with Mike in New York. I thought it would be a good story (at least for me).

The first thing that came to my mind was the movie Gandhi (a great movie by the way). There is a section in the movie where Gandhi decides to walk through the entire country mile after mile from coast to coast. No one knew why he was doing it but in every village he went through, people decided to join him. In a few days, it had become a movement. Not even the English people , in India, knew how to handle this.

When he reached the Indian Ocean, he went deep into the water and grabbed a handful of salt. He then said: “We have our own salt. Why do we have to import it from England” (I am paraphrasing here). From then on, Indian people started to use their own salt, negatively impacting the entire England salt industry. This was so inspiring.

When I got home, I thought I could start a movement too (why not). The more I thought about it the clearer it became. Here is the story.

When I went back home in 2008, I visited a number of friends. We had a great time. I shared with many of them what my life is like after spending 6 years in Canada (I told them it is a cold country, eh!).

One of my friends was inspired and told me about her dream. Then I got inspired (I am always inspired by people who have dreams so big that they don’t know how to fulfill them). After listening to her, I decided to give her a hand. I didn’t know how, but I knew I had to at least try. The funny thing is, by helping her, my dreams are coming to pass.

I kept in touch with her after I returned to Toronto. The more I talked to her, the more I liked her dream. In fact, it was like her dream became mine. All of a sudden, I started to think about it all the time.

One day I called her and said to her, “Let’s do this”. Let’s even put a deadline to it. But the thing is, I had no idea how we would do it. She had no clue either (but that is the beauty of it). Now we are almost at 90% towards achieving it. I can’t wait to see my friend achieve her dream.

For all you fans of the blog, I have two requests. Would you like to join me in making her dream come true? If yes, please let me know by sending me an e-mail at pbizindavyi6@gmail.com.
I will give you all the details about the dream and how we can do it together.

The second request is this: Find someone (it could be a friend or not), ask him/her about his/her dream and help him/her make it come true. By so doing, yours will come true as well.

Moral of the story? Do you want to make someone’s dream come true? Just go to New York City and you will take off your shoes.


Always a pleasure
Patrick
The Journeyman
pbizindavyi6@gmail.com

Comments

  1. I've just taken off my shoes while reading your story but for different reasons to yours. First,it's saturday (a very much sunny day)and I have "imanza" (yes I'm from Burundi) right after job,my shoes are itching me to hell. Secondly,I have to do what my prof tells me to (Yes I'm your former student too). My name's Frank and was really surprised to see your facebook invite some days back. But that was one drop in an ocean of surprises:I didnt know you're a story teller too. Keep it up Master.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

My Journey to my wedding

Where do I start? I don't really know. As I am waiting for my flight at Kigali airport, with tears in my eyes, I am thinking about the last few days. There are no words that can explain what I have experienced in this month of December 2010. As Phil Collins said, it's another day in paradise. The person who said that words are powerful was so right. It took a few words from my then girlfriend, now wife (are you kidding me!!!!), to start a series of events that led me to this moment. She just said: “Honey, this long distance thing is killing me”. Having been in a couple of long distance relationships, I knew what she meant. This time, it was different. I had to do something, otherwise, this relationship would end up like the other ones. I had promised myself to do whatever it took to make this one work. As I hung up the phone, I thought I had to move mountains. I had to find a way to meet her. Originally, my intention was to visit her in July 2011, however, this felt like a cent

My Journey to my meeting with Bob Proctor

He is a hero of mine, I have studied his material for years, I had met him once and at that time he even signed one of the books he gave to me. But, spending three hours in an intimate setting, hearing him calling my name, him talking to me from a few feet away was just a dream come true. Bob Proctor is simply a genius. He has been studying the laws of success for over fifty years, but he has a simple way of explaining things that I found myself saying “wow” all the time. I have listened to his audios, read his book and saw hundreds of his videos. It has come to the point where I can finish his sentences before he finishes them. But seeing him live telling his story is another thing. Call me crazy, but I just believe that I will end up working with him. I don't know how or when this is going to happen, but I know I will. It is with the same belief that I know I will one day meet Michael Jordan and Nelson Mandela (being with Pathe'O few weeks ago made me feel I am not that far

My Journey to a meeting with Gandhi

You must be thinking that I lost my mind when I say that I met Gandhi. Don't worry. I am doing fine. I met him only in a story that I heard. Do you want to hear it? I know you do. So I will tell the story Long time ago, there was a lady in India whose son was eating too much sugar. She tried so many times in vain to ask him to stop eating sugar. After a while, she thought that Gandhi could help. She took her son to Gandhi and begged him to tell him to stop eating sugar. He carefully listen to the lady, and then went: “Please come back in two weeks, I will be able to help you” Two weeks later, the lady came back to see Gandhi. The Mahatma looked in the young boy's eyes and told him: “Please stop eating too much sugar”. That was it. The lady could not believe it. “Do you mean I had to wait two weeks for you to ask my son to stop eating sugar” she said. “Why couldn't tell him in the first place?” Then, Gandhi simply said: “You see madam. Two weeks ago, I was still eating sugar