Skip to main content

My Journey to what drives me

For those of you who love sports, I know you are having fun. We’ve got the NHL finals going on, the soccer world cup in a few days, we just finished watching the French Open (congrats to Nadal), and of course Kobe is going to win his fifth title (sorry Bertrand).

Speaking of the NBA, two stories caught my attention this week. First there is this story about three players of the Orlando Magic who had a strange bet. They challenged one of them to spend the entire season without cutting his hair. And guess what! He won the bet and went home with over $17,000 in his pocket. These guys have money to spare; it’s not even funny.

The second story is about my fellow Canadian Steve Nash (I am not the only Canadian superstar as you can see). This guy is a fighter. He lost to the Lakers despite doing everything right to win. I have never seen him play this hard. Today, I saw a clip of him crying in the locker room after the game. It was my first time seeing him that emotional. Although I was happy for the Lakers, I felt really bad for him. He was so close to his goal.

Here is a guy who has almost everything. He has all the money in the world, a beautiful family and all the things one could want, need or desire, and yet he was crying for not winning the big trophy. This is what drives true champions. It’s not about the money (I won’t say no if they gave it to me though).

After watching the clip, I started asking myself: What really drives me? That’s a good question to ask. Once we find out what drives us, dealing with different challenges becomes easy. It helps us to keep our eyes on the big prize.

I found out that making a difference in people’s lives is what really drives me. It is my fuel. Yes Samia, I was moved by the message you sent me (I told you I would write about you lol). It is unbelievable the responses I am getting from my blog’s readers. It’s like I am in a dream, everything looks unreal and I don’t feel like waking up.

Today, I shared a passage from my book with my four best friends whom I had great moments with back in the days. They were so moved by the message because it brought back great memories. On that note, I am going to share that passage with you. It’s the only passage that I will give away. If you want to read the rest, you only need to buy the book lol, which is being edited as we speak (I am a great salesman too).

Enjoy this passage; unfortunately, there won’t be any moral of the story lol

“I can't remember when I started to dream about working in media. All that I can remember is that in 1994, four of us, Aimé-Jules (also known as Demesure, a name we gave to him because he was very handsome), Tony (we called him Montana), François (also known as Kissa) and I (I had no nickname. There was none for brilliant people lol), started talking about owning a radio station. The dream was so vivid that we even had our roles chosen before even starting anything

We all played for the University Basketball team and our world was around Basketball, a little bit of soccer and for Kissa it was beer and girls (don't blame me Kissa, I am only telling the truth). Kissa was the most talented of us (Basketball wise and in school). He told me that he had been writing books. I didn't believe him until he showed me one of the books he had written. I was amazed! He was unbelievably talented. He did not publish any of them, but I knew that one day he would (and he did).

Aimé-Jules was the funniest of all of us. This guy was so nice (he still is). He made us laugh so much. Later on he became my inspiration when he started to work for the Chamber of Commerce radio station. I couldn't wait for 1 pm so that I could listen to him present the sport news on the radio

Tony was the calm guy. He is one of the most loyal friends I have even seen. We always teased him because he was the guy who showed no emotion. We were a band of brothers.

During the soccer world cup in 1994, we decided to start a sports newspaper which we called “Le Joueur” (The Player). We published it only four times. Even still it was a great experience.

A year later, Kissa left for his native Rwanda where he started a newspaper and ended up being the president of the Rwandese Journalist Association. Aimé-Jules started volunteering at the radio (and later on he was hired). Tony and I were the only ones left not working in media. But we never lost hope.

In the mean time, Kissa left for Canada, and a few years later, Aimé-Jules joined him. Tony replaced Aimé-Jules at the Radio station, and all of a sudden the four of us were working in the same field (as I got my job at Bonesha Radio station). Did I mention that not one of us went to school to study media? Kissa studied Law, Aimé-Jules and Tony studied French Literature and I was in the English Department. Our common passion led us to work in the field of our dream.”



Always a pleasure.

Patrick
The Journeyman
pbizindavyi6@gmail.com

Comments

  1. Everything is all about dreams we have, a dreamless life is like a sunless day. Keep it up...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

My Journey to my wedding

Where do I start? I don't really know. As I am waiting for my flight at Kigali airport, with tears in my eyes, I am thinking about the last few days. There are no words that can explain what I have experienced in this month of December 2010. As Phil Collins said, it's another day in paradise. The person who said that words are powerful was so right. It took a few words from my then girlfriend, now wife (are you kidding me!!!!), to start a series of events that led me to this moment. She just said: “Honey, this long distance thing is killing me”. Having been in a couple of long distance relationships, I knew what she meant. This time, it was different. I had to do something, otherwise, this relationship would end up like the other ones. I had promised myself to do whatever it took to make this one work. As I hung up the phone, I thought I had to move mountains. I had to find a way to meet her. Originally, my intention was to visit her in July 2011, however, this felt like a cent

My Journey to my meeting with Bob Proctor

He is a hero of mine, I have studied his material for years, I had met him once and at that time he even signed one of the books he gave to me. But, spending three hours in an intimate setting, hearing him calling my name, him talking to me from a few feet away was just a dream come true. Bob Proctor is simply a genius. He has been studying the laws of success for over fifty years, but he has a simple way of explaining things that I found myself saying “wow” all the time. I have listened to his audios, read his book and saw hundreds of his videos. It has come to the point where I can finish his sentences before he finishes them. But seeing him live telling his story is another thing. Call me crazy, but I just believe that I will end up working with him. I don't know how or when this is going to happen, but I know I will. It is with the same belief that I know I will one day meet Michael Jordan and Nelson Mandela (being with Pathe'O few weeks ago made me feel I am not that far

My Journey to a meeting with Gandhi

You must be thinking that I lost my mind when I say that I met Gandhi. Don't worry. I am doing fine. I met him only in a story that I heard. Do you want to hear it? I know you do. So I will tell the story Long time ago, there was a lady in India whose son was eating too much sugar. She tried so many times in vain to ask him to stop eating sugar. After a while, she thought that Gandhi could help. She took her son to Gandhi and begged him to tell him to stop eating sugar. He carefully listen to the lady, and then went: “Please come back in two weeks, I will be able to help you” Two weeks later, the lady came back to see Gandhi. The Mahatma looked in the young boy's eyes and told him: “Please stop eating too much sugar”. That was it. The lady could not believe it. “Do you mean I had to wait two weeks for you to ask my son to stop eating sugar” she said. “Why couldn't tell him in the first place?” Then, Gandhi simply said: “You see madam. Two weeks ago, I was still eating sugar