Skip to main content

My Journey to a life on the road

Back to Toronto after a week on the road. The last few days have been amazing. I left on Thursday for New York City, came back on Monday morning (5am to be exact), then headed to Buffalo New York the same day, and by 1am I was back to Toronto saying to myself: “This is crazy”. Hold on there is more. On the next day, I was back on the road again this time going to Brantford Ontario and came back to Toronto around 11pm. Two days later, here I am on my way to Montreal for a week-end of festivities. In a few weeks, I am heading back to New York and if things go according to plan, I may go to Africa later this year (crazy isn’t it?).

As I am writing this, I am amazed at how my life has turned out. Never in my mind had I thought I would travel this much. In fact, since July 2005, I have traveled at least every 3 months. On my way home from Brantfort, I was thinking a few years back about what my mom said to me when I was coaching Basketball. She said “when are you going to have a life?”. And my response was “Mom , this is my life”. She said this because I was gone all the time.

As years went by, my mom’s question kept bugging me. When am I going to have a life? I asked myself this very question before last week in New york City. In one of the sessions at our conference, during a panel discussion, one of the speakers was asked how he has been able to manage family life with his many trips around the world. The question caught my attention (maybe I will get something to tell my mom lol).

He then said (I am paraphrasing): “Can you give me the definition of a good father or husband? Yes I travel 3 weeks per month, but my family never misses me. And I never miss them. We have agreed on how we are going to live our lives regardless of how society says a family should live. We can create the life we want, and we can create great memories along the way.”

I felt a sense of relief after I heard this. In fact, I have created great memories with my trips. I will never forget how emotional my trip to Mali was. The moments I lived were priceless. This is an opportunity that is not given to everybody and I won’t take it for granted (and I like to travel. Every time I go somewhere, I am doing things I love to do. What more can I ask for?

Although my mom’s question is still valid (and I know she asked it out of love), I think I can create a family life that includes a lot of travel (how about a trip to Hawaii with my loved ones? Wouldn’t that be nice?)

We can create the life we want, how we want it to be and still enjoy it. That is my new mission. I am inviting you to do the same, and the world will live as one (as John Lennon said).

Moral of the story? Do you want to have a great family life? Start traveling a lot and your mom will ask when you are going to have a life.

Always a pleasure

Patrick
The Journeyman
Pbizindavyi6@gmail.com

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Journey to my wedding

Where do I start? I don't really know. As I am waiting for my flight at Kigali airport, with tears in my eyes, I am thinking about the last few days. There are no words that can explain what I have experienced in this month of December 2010. As Phil Collins said, it's another day in paradise. The person who said that words are powerful was so right. It took a few words from my then girlfriend, now wife (are you kidding me!!!!), to start a series of events that led me to this moment. She just said: “Honey, this long distance thing is killing me”. Having been in a couple of long distance relationships, I knew what she meant. This time, it was different. I had to do something, otherwise, this relationship would end up like the other ones. I had promised myself to do whatever it took to make this one work. As I hung up the phone, I thought I had to move mountains. I had to find a way to meet her. Originally, my intention was to visit her in July 2011, however, this felt like a cent

My Journey to my meeting with Bob Proctor

He is a hero of mine, I have studied his material for years, I had met him once and at that time he even signed one of the books he gave to me. But, spending three hours in an intimate setting, hearing him calling my name, him talking to me from a few feet away was just a dream come true. Bob Proctor is simply a genius. He has been studying the laws of success for over fifty years, but he has a simple way of explaining things that I found myself saying “wow” all the time. I have listened to his audios, read his book and saw hundreds of his videos. It has come to the point where I can finish his sentences before he finishes them. But seeing him live telling his story is another thing. Call me crazy, but I just believe that I will end up working with him. I don't know how or when this is going to happen, but I know I will. It is with the same belief that I know I will one day meet Michael Jordan and Nelson Mandela (being with Pathe'O few weeks ago made me feel I am not that far

My Journey to a meeting with Gandhi

You must be thinking that I lost my mind when I say that I met Gandhi. Don't worry. I am doing fine. I met him only in a story that I heard. Do you want to hear it? I know you do. So I will tell the story Long time ago, there was a lady in India whose son was eating too much sugar. She tried so many times in vain to ask him to stop eating sugar. After a while, she thought that Gandhi could help. She took her son to Gandhi and begged him to tell him to stop eating sugar. He carefully listen to the lady, and then went: “Please come back in two weeks, I will be able to help you” Two weeks later, the lady came back to see Gandhi. The Mahatma looked in the young boy's eyes and told him: “Please stop eating too much sugar”. That was it. The lady could not believe it. “Do you mean I had to wait two weeks for you to ask my son to stop eating sugar” she said. “Why couldn't tell him in the first place?” Then, Gandhi simply said: “You see madam. Two weeks ago, I was still eating sugar