Skip to main content

My Journey to a commitment

One of the commitments I made and that I need to accomplish before the end of this year is to get back in shape. I think it was about time I do something about it. I have been in Canada for 8 years and in those 8 years I have gained 55 pounds. Don’t you dare laugh at me. It sure isn’t because of lack of discipline, besides I have my reasons, number one being my retirement from the game of Basketball lol (see Charles Barkley).

I remember sending a picture to my mom two years ago and she couldn’t tell which one is her son (I was with some friends in the picture). Funny moment. She sent me an email the next day saying “That’s a nice picture. You must be the one who took it because I didn’t see you”. I had to explain I was the one on the far left side, she couldn’t believe it.

I had hoped that working on my book would make me shade a few pounds (by the way, my editors and I are putting some serious work in this. I never thought it would take this long). What an illusion! My best bet is hitting the gym now that my shortcut plan failed. Fair enough I have access to the gym in my building but hardly ever make it there.

I started gradually by playing some soccer games. I scored 4 goals in my second game (should I join Chelsea or ManU? You decide lol). Two days ago, I played some Basketball and I did some walking yesterday. In October I will climb the CN Tower, and in December I am running an indoor marathon (check me out in the 2012 Olympics in London).

I made these kinds of commitments in the past but it didn’t work out. Do you know why? Because I was not accountable to myself and I didn’t have anyone to be accountable to. Things have to change now.

It has been two weeks that me and my friend Diego have started a cool system. From Sunday to Thursday, we call each other at 10pm everyday with a list of things we have to do the next day. Then the next day we have to report to each other that we did every single thing on the list, and make another list for the following day. We committed to each other to make no excuses and be sure to accomplish what’s on our “to do list” on a daily basis. I have to tell you it’s working fine.

We have accomplished so many things in just two weeks it’s not even funny. One of the things on my list today is writing this week’s blog. Good thing I am doing it, otherwise Diego would kick me. At the same time you are benefiting from it as you are reading my blog.

I figured that having someone, a friend, a coach or any other person to report to is very helpful. Otherwise we would all be part of the biggest nation in the world. It’s called procrastination.

Moral of the story? Do you want to achieve big goals? Find someone to be accountable to and you will lose weight.

Always a pleasure
Patrick
The Journeyman
pbizindavyi6@gmail.com

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Journey to my wedding

Where do I start? I don't really know. As I am waiting for my flight at Kigali airport, with tears in my eyes, I am thinking about the last few days. There are no words that can explain what I have experienced in this month of December 2010. As Phil Collins said, it's another day in paradise. The person who said that words are powerful was so right. It took a few words from my then girlfriend, now wife (are you kidding me!!!!), to start a series of events that led me to this moment. She just said: “Honey, this long distance thing is killing me”. Having been in a couple of long distance relationships, I knew what she meant. This time, it was different. I had to do something, otherwise, this relationship would end up like the other ones. I had promised myself to do whatever it took to make this one work. As I hung up the phone, I thought I had to move mountains. I had to find a way to meet her. Originally, my intention was to visit her in July 2011, however, this felt like a cent

My Journey to my meeting with Bob Proctor

He is a hero of mine, I have studied his material for years, I had met him once and at that time he even signed one of the books he gave to me. But, spending three hours in an intimate setting, hearing him calling my name, him talking to me from a few feet away was just a dream come true. Bob Proctor is simply a genius. He has been studying the laws of success for over fifty years, but he has a simple way of explaining things that I found myself saying “wow” all the time. I have listened to his audios, read his book and saw hundreds of his videos. It has come to the point where I can finish his sentences before he finishes them. But seeing him live telling his story is another thing. Call me crazy, but I just believe that I will end up working with him. I don't know how or when this is going to happen, but I know I will. It is with the same belief that I know I will one day meet Michael Jordan and Nelson Mandela (being with Pathe'O few weeks ago made me feel I am not that far

My Journey to a meeting with Gandhi

You must be thinking that I lost my mind when I say that I met Gandhi. Don't worry. I am doing fine. I met him only in a story that I heard. Do you want to hear it? I know you do. So I will tell the story Long time ago, there was a lady in India whose son was eating too much sugar. She tried so many times in vain to ask him to stop eating sugar. After a while, she thought that Gandhi could help. She took her son to Gandhi and begged him to tell him to stop eating sugar. He carefully listen to the lady, and then went: “Please come back in two weeks, I will be able to help you” Two weeks later, the lady came back to see Gandhi. The Mahatma looked in the young boy's eyes and told him: “Please stop eating too much sugar”. That was it. The lady could not believe it. “Do you mean I had to wait two weeks for you to ask my son to stop eating sugar” she said. “Why couldn't tell him in the first place?” Then, Gandhi simply said: “You see madam. Two weeks ago, I was still eating sugar