Skip to main content

My Journey to Moments of Gratitude

Where do I start? Really! This is one of those weeks where I don't even know where to begin writing since so much has happened in a short space of time. But I will try.

A few weeks ago I attended a communication course that lasted two and half days. Oh boy did I need it. It was an opportunity to take a serious look at myself and identify what works and what doesn't work in my communication with others. I went there with an open mind (I heard that the mind is like a parachute; it works best when it is open lol) and I was ready to do what ever it took to learn what I needed to learn.

What did I discover about myself? Do you want to hear it? Well first of all I am a business man so I don't give my stuff out for free.....however............because it is you I will tell you. So do you want the long or the short version of the story? Actually, let's go with the short version and you can let me know what you think.

It is the year 2001 and I am in Burundi my home country. I have a big goal that I want to accomplish and I share it with a very close friend of mine. He laughs at me and says that I am such a dreamer. I don't say anything, but deep inside, I am burning to prove him wrong. The days pass and he keeps on teasing me, so I decide that I will NEVER share my goals with anyone ever again.

Guess what! Ten years later, I am still the same! I have that wall between me and others in regards to sharing my goals. I prefer to talk about it when it is complete. Do you know what? With close friends, my method doesn't seem to work. They feel like I don't trust them (and I can't blame them, I would feel the same). However, I was not doing this on purpose (you don't know, what you don't know until someone shows you.)

Do you still have a minute? I can share another thing or two with you.

I discovered that my whole life has been about giving (which is not bad at all), but I have a hard time receiving or asking for help (do you know anyone like that?). It takes all the courage and vulnerability in the world for me to ask for help. I want to do it myself. But, YOU ask me for my help? I will move mountains to help you get what you want (sometimes even forgetting my own goals).

So I decided to change. I decided to allow myself to be vulnerable and ask for help and feel OK about it. Oh man! It was like there was someone out there saying “why did you wait this long?” Since I allowed myself to do this, things have been crazy.

Let me share this with you.

Last week, I asked two friends to donate money for my trip to Africa coming up in a few months (that by itself is a huge breakthrough for me: asking for money.). Anyways, the two friends saw me two days later, and one of them said: “Oh Patrick, I have your money. Here it is”. The second one went: “Oh yes, me too. Here is the money that I promised you”. Not far from us, another friend was watching all of this, and she came to me and said: “I don't know why these people are giving you money, but it must be for something good. Here is mine too. You can have it. Now, can you please explain to me: Why are all these people giving you money?”

CAN YOU BELIEVE THAT!!!??

All I had to do was....ask!!!!

A few days later, people came to me with GREAT business opportunities which made me feel as if I was a magnate!

Do I have everything in place for my trip to Africa? Not yet. But I know I can ask for help. Funny enough, I am receiving help and people are feeling good about it (I guess I have been sowing enough seeds in the ground).

I am so grateful to everyone. It is beyond imagination.

Oh, I forgot to tell you another thing. I was approached by a newspaper last week, and they want to write a profile about me! (are you serious!!!). I met the journalist, we did our interview and she sent me her first draft of the article. When I read it, I was like “are you kidding me? Is this me, really?”.
Now, everywhere I go, I take my pen with me. Hey, you never know someone may need my autograph lol.

What a week!!!

Moral of the story? Do you want to take a trip to Africa? Just ask for help and you will find yourself signing autographs.
Always a pleasure

Patrick
The Journeyman
pbizindavyi6@gmail.com
Twitter: @journeymanstory

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Journey to my wedding

Where do I start? I don't really know. As I am waiting for my flight at Kigali airport, with tears in my eyes, I am thinking about the last few days. There are no words that can explain what I have experienced in this month of December 2010. As Phil Collins said, it's another day in paradise. The person who said that words are powerful was so right. It took a few words from my then girlfriend, now wife (are you kidding me!!!!), to start a series of events that led me to this moment. She just said: “Honey, this long distance thing is killing me”. Having been in a couple of long distance relationships, I knew what she meant. This time, it was different. I had to do something, otherwise, this relationship would end up like the other ones. I had promised myself to do whatever it took to make this one work. As I hung up the phone, I thought I had to move mountains. I had to find a way to meet her. Originally, my intention was to visit her in July 2011, however, this felt like a cent

My Journey to my meeting with Bob Proctor

He is a hero of mine, I have studied his material for years, I had met him once and at that time he even signed one of the books he gave to me. But, spending three hours in an intimate setting, hearing him calling my name, him talking to me from a few feet away was just a dream come true. Bob Proctor is simply a genius. He has been studying the laws of success for over fifty years, but he has a simple way of explaining things that I found myself saying “wow” all the time. I have listened to his audios, read his book and saw hundreds of his videos. It has come to the point where I can finish his sentences before he finishes them. But seeing him live telling his story is another thing. Call me crazy, but I just believe that I will end up working with him. I don't know how or when this is going to happen, but I know I will. It is with the same belief that I know I will one day meet Michael Jordan and Nelson Mandela (being with Pathe'O few weeks ago made me feel I am not that far

My Journey to a meeting with Gandhi

You must be thinking that I lost my mind when I say that I met Gandhi. Don't worry. I am doing fine. I met him only in a story that I heard. Do you want to hear it? I know you do. So I will tell the story Long time ago, there was a lady in India whose son was eating too much sugar. She tried so many times in vain to ask him to stop eating sugar. After a while, she thought that Gandhi could help. She took her son to Gandhi and begged him to tell him to stop eating sugar. He carefully listen to the lady, and then went: “Please come back in two weeks, I will be able to help you” Two weeks later, the lady came back to see Gandhi. The Mahatma looked in the young boy's eyes and told him: “Please stop eating too much sugar”. That was it. The lady could not believe it. “Do you mean I had to wait two weeks for you to ask my son to stop eating sugar” she said. “Why couldn't tell him in the first place?” Then, Gandhi simply said: “You see madam. Two weeks ago, I was still eating sugar