Skip to main content

My Journey to San Diego

I did not go to San Diego (I wish I did), but every time I speak with Jeanine or Lara, I feel I am in San Diego. Hey, Jeanine, now you cannot brag about the beautiful Californian weather anymore. It's nice in Toronto as well.

Jeanine lives in San Diego and Lara is her friend. Lara, I hope we will get a chance to return to Ngoma before you head South of the border.

Have you heard of BFI (Burundi Friends International)? If you are a true follower of my blog, you would certainly remember my last trip to Montreal where I met Jeanine after decades without seeing her. That day she shared with me BFI's mission which is to help fight poverty in Burundi by providing education, healthcare and self-sustaining enterprise opportunities on a village-by-village basis.

Quick question for you: who wouldn't want to be part of this? Especially when you were born in Burundi (by the way; can't wait to be there in a few days), or if you are a person who loves to give a hand.

After my first meeting with Jeanine, we kept in touch regularly and I was made aware of the various activities they were doing in Burundi. I tried to help as much as possible. A few months later, I received a call from a woman named Lara who introduced herself as Jeanine's friend. I could hear the excitement in her voice. Do you know why she was excited? Well, she had just returned from her first trip to Burundi and with that she told me: “Oprah needs to go to Burundi. This place is so beautiful!Oprah could spend a year meeting and interviewing one Amazing and Inspirational "hero" after another.. Plus, yes, the place is magically beautiful!” Of course I couldn't agree more. However, while we wait for Oprah's visit, another superstar will be there shortly: Me. Lol.

A little while after, a funny thing happened. Lara told me that she was attending an African fashion show in Toronto and mentioned that maybe we could meet there. Well, guess what? I was the MC of the event (do you remember my meeting with Pathe'O?). Since then, Lara and I have become good friends.

Let me be the first to tell you, if you didn't already know, that there is something truly special happening at BFI. They seem to attract the right people at the right time (this time I am not talking about me). Things are rolling down in San Diego. Can you believe that a BFI supporter donated a 40 feet container to be shipped to Burundi? All they have to do is fill it with medical supplies for clinics and hospitals; and books and clothes for orphanages. How about that! That's not all; money has been raised to pay for the shipment to Burundi. Is that cool or what!

Sometimes opportunities may come with new challenges. Now BFI's challenge is to find people who are interested in helping others by donating the things they need to fill the container. Would you join me in helping them? It could be ideas, contacts or even a word of encouragement. These people have their hearts in the right place. What a commitment! They have trusted me and made me part of the BFI family and now I would like to invite all of you my Journeyman followers into my new family! In fact, consider yourself already part of the new family for just taking the time to read this blog. You can get more information on this great organization by checking out www.bufri.org. You can also see this video of one of BFI partners.Simply amazing: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q65OJrXqG10

Moral of the story? Do you want to take a trip to San Diego without flying in an aeroplane? Just talk to BFI people and they will get you there. You may be on your way to Burundi.


Always a pleasure

Patrick

The Journeyman

patrick@goalachieverscanada.com

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Journey to my wedding

Where do I start? I don't really know. As I am waiting for my flight at Kigali airport, with tears in my eyes, I am thinking about the last few days. There are no words that can explain what I have experienced in this month of December 2010. As Phil Collins said, it's another day in paradise. The person who said that words are powerful was so right. It took a few words from my then girlfriend, now wife (are you kidding me!!!!), to start a series of events that led me to this moment. She just said: “Honey, this long distance thing is killing me”. Having been in a couple of long distance relationships, I knew what she meant. This time, it was different. I had to do something, otherwise, this relationship would end up like the other ones. I had promised myself to do whatever it took to make this one work. As I hung up the phone, I thought I had to move mountains. I had to find a way to meet her. Originally, my intention was to visit her in July 2011, however, this felt like a cent

My Journey to my meeting with Bob Proctor

He is a hero of mine, I have studied his material for years, I had met him once and at that time he even signed one of the books he gave to me. But, spending three hours in an intimate setting, hearing him calling my name, him talking to me from a few feet away was just a dream come true. Bob Proctor is simply a genius. He has been studying the laws of success for over fifty years, but he has a simple way of explaining things that I found myself saying “wow” all the time. I have listened to his audios, read his book and saw hundreds of his videos. It has come to the point where I can finish his sentences before he finishes them. But seeing him live telling his story is another thing. Call me crazy, but I just believe that I will end up working with him. I don't know how or when this is going to happen, but I know I will. It is with the same belief that I know I will one day meet Michael Jordan and Nelson Mandela (being with Pathe'O few weeks ago made me feel I am not that far

My Journey to a meeting with Gandhi

You must be thinking that I lost my mind when I say that I met Gandhi. Don't worry. I am doing fine. I met him only in a story that I heard. Do you want to hear it? I know you do. So I will tell the story Long time ago, there was a lady in India whose son was eating too much sugar. She tried so many times in vain to ask him to stop eating sugar. After a while, she thought that Gandhi could help. She took her son to Gandhi and begged him to tell him to stop eating sugar. He carefully listen to the lady, and then went: “Please come back in two weeks, I will be able to help you” Two weeks later, the lady came back to see Gandhi. The Mahatma looked in the young boy's eyes and told him: “Please stop eating too much sugar”. That was it. The lady could not believe it. “Do you mean I had to wait two weeks for you to ask my son to stop eating sugar” she said. “Why couldn't tell him in the first place?” Then, Gandhi simply said: “You see madam. Two weeks ago, I was still eating sugar