Skip to main content

My Journey to a New Year's Resolution

I spent a very quiet New Year's eve but it was a very nice one. As we were watching the countdown on TV, I couldn't stop thinking about the things that I accomplished in 2011 (I am going to come back to this; please do remind me) . It was one of my best years. It's funny how great things are often linked to great challenges. I heard somebody say that your greatest struggle will be your greatest victory. I couldn't agree more.

Did I achieve everything I wanted to achieve in 2011? No, not at all. But I am so thankful for what I have done.

Those of you who have seen the movie “Peaceful Warrior”, you probably remember a scene where “Socrates” the mentor said to the young Dan Millman “Your training is now moving to a whole new level. I am going to teach you how to find your answers from the inside” (I am paraphrasing).

It was a brand new perspective for young Dan, and usually any new experience or change tends to make us initially feel outside of our comfort zone. He was used to “making things happen” using his own strength, and now he was learning to “allow things to happen”, by freeing his mind and living his life in the "Now" . I won't share the entire movie, but it is one of the best I have ever seen.

Do you know what is my New Year's Resolution? I want to be like Dan.

Remember I asked you to remind me of something? Do you remember? Now, you don't have to remind me because I remembered what I wanted to share. Let me first repeat the sentence already mentioned in the first paragraph, which was “I couldn't stop thinking about the things that I accomplished in 2011”. Now, what's so special about this sentence? Nothing, except that I was taking credit for what was done in 2011. That has been my biggest mistake. I always want to make things happen, with my own strength. I often do succeed, but at what cost? I am still paying for most of the stuff.

I am learning now to let go and let God, to allow things to happen instead of me trying to make things happen using my own limited mind and strength. Do you know what? At first it is so scary. It takes ABSOLUTE trust in the invisible, especially when it seems like there is no where to go. The hard part is trusting God's timing. His timing is not necessarily ours, and when you lack patience (like somebody I know lol), man it can be so scary. That is the test I have to pass. On the bright side, I have never prayed the way I do now. It is a very humbling experience. Sometimes, I find myself trying to return to my old ways, but I always do my best to remain calm in the middle of the “storms” and keep trusting that all will be fine.

Everything takes practice and with time I will get better at it . I am still making tons of mistakes but that is part of the process. It takes a lot of faith, but that is my resolution for this year and the years to come. I am going to rely on God and share what He is doing in my life. I thing that I have already started, don't you think? There is a lot to share, so stay tuned.

Moral of the story? Do you want 2012 to be your best year? Keep reading my blog and you will lose patience lol

Always a pleasure

Patrick
The Journeyman
patrick@goalachieverscanada.com
www.goalachieverscanada.com

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Journey to my wedding

Where do I start? I don't really know. As I am waiting for my flight at Kigali airport, with tears in my eyes, I am thinking about the last few days. There are no words that can explain what I have experienced in this month of December 2010. As Phil Collins said, it's another day in paradise. The person who said that words are powerful was so right. It took a few words from my then girlfriend, now wife (are you kidding me!!!!), to start a series of events that led me to this moment. She just said: “Honey, this long distance thing is killing me”. Having been in a couple of long distance relationships, I knew what she meant. This time, it was different. I had to do something, otherwise, this relationship would end up like the other ones. I had promised myself to do whatever it took to make this one work. As I hung up the phone, I thought I had to move mountains. I had to find a way to meet her. Originally, my intention was to visit her in July 2011, however, this felt like a cent

My Journey to a meeting with Gandhi

You must be thinking that I lost my mind when I say that I met Gandhi. Don't worry. I am doing fine. I met him only in a story that I heard. Do you want to hear it? I know you do. So I will tell the story Long time ago, there was a lady in India whose son was eating too much sugar. She tried so many times in vain to ask him to stop eating sugar. After a while, she thought that Gandhi could help. She took her son to Gandhi and begged him to tell him to stop eating sugar. He carefully listen to the lady, and then went: “Please come back in two weeks, I will be able to help you” Two weeks later, the lady came back to see Gandhi. The Mahatma looked in the young boy's eyes and told him: “Please stop eating too much sugar”. That was it. The lady could not believe it. “Do you mean I had to wait two weeks for you to ask my son to stop eating sugar” she said. “Why couldn't tell him in the first place?” Then, Gandhi simply said: “You see madam. Two weeks ago, I was still eating sugar

My Journey to my meeting with Bob Proctor

He is a hero of mine, I have studied his material for years, I had met him once and at that time he even signed one of the books he gave to me. But, spending three hours in an intimate setting, hearing him calling my name, him talking to me from a few feet away was just a dream come true. Bob Proctor is simply a genius. He has been studying the laws of success for over fifty years, but he has a simple way of explaining things that I found myself saying “wow” all the time. I have listened to his audios, read his book and saw hundreds of his videos. It has come to the point where I can finish his sentences before he finishes them. But seeing him live telling his story is another thing. Call me crazy, but I just believe that I will end up working with him. I don't know how or when this is going to happen, but I know I will. It is with the same belief that I know I will one day meet Michael Jordan and Nelson Mandela (being with Pathe'O few weeks ago made me feel I am not that far