Skip to main content

My Journey to an Emotional Easter Week-End




I can say that I am rather pleased to get back to work today after a quite emotional week-end. It has been a very long time since I cried the way I did these last few days.

As I was about to go to bed last Friday, around midnight, I received a phone call from a good friend of mine. At first I was surprised to hear the phone ring at that time. I thought it was an early long distance call as it was Saturday morning back home. I picked up the phone, and my friend on the other side of line asked me if I was sleeping already, to which I responded no. She then asked me to go to a place I could be alone. I went upstairs, and all this time my wife was asking me what was going on. I did not tell her at first (myself I did not know what was going on).

Five minutes later, she joined me upstairs to find me crying on the phone. She asked me what happened, and I broke the news: My good friend Gentille had passed away...

A few weeks ago I wrote about her in my blog. For over two years, Gentille had been fighting cancer, and we thought she had won. She was full of hope, she had tons of projects she wanted to take on, she was once again active. She was not 100% yet, but she wasn't where she used to be.

About two weeks ago, she went back to see her doctor for her regular check up, to her surprise, they told her she had to go back to the hospital. She couldn't believe it. After crying a lot, she called me to let me know about the news. I was devastated. She had to start from scratch again, for another two years. I didn't know what to say.

She went back to the hospital and we kept in touch regularly. I was supposed to go to see her on Thursday, but at the last minute I couldn't. That is my biggest regret. The next day...she was gone.
If there is a good way to die, Gentille experienced it. She had peace in her heart, she was at peace with God, she was, for a very long time, looking forward to the future...She did not know which future.

I learned so much from Gentille. She taught me how to look at the bright side in the face of adversity, one more time she reminded me that everything happens for a reason (even though we do not understand why at the moment they are happening). I learned to appreciate every moment, to live life to the fullest, and above all, cherish every moment I spend with my loved ones. We do not know what the future holds.

After I had sent her an e-mail notifying her that I could not come to visit her on Thursday, this is what she e-mailed back

“Its all good papa BOY,so r u happy??? I just wish your future kid to have a big heart just like his daddy :-) “

Few hours later...she was gone. You will be missed Gentille.

Always a pleasure

Patrick
The Journeyman
patrick@goalachieverscanada.com
www.goalachieverscanada.com

Comments

  1. My condolences to you Patrick...and to the family of this young woman.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sorry to hear about your loss Patrick. I hope you are keeping happy memories of your friend and alive and well each and every day.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

My Journey to my wedding

Where do I start? I don't really know. As I am waiting for my flight at Kigali airport, with tears in my eyes, I am thinking about the last few days. There are no words that can explain what I have experienced in this month of December 2010. As Phil Collins said, it's another day in paradise. The person who said that words are powerful was so right. It took a few words from my then girlfriend, now wife (are you kidding me!!!!), to start a series of events that led me to this moment. She just said: “Honey, this long distance thing is killing me”. Having been in a couple of long distance relationships, I knew what she meant. This time, it was different. I had to do something, otherwise, this relationship would end up like the other ones. I had promised myself to do whatever it took to make this one work. As I hung up the phone, I thought I had to move mountains. I had to find a way to meet her. Originally, my intention was to visit her in July 2011, however, this felt like a cent

My Journey to a meeting with Gandhi

You must be thinking that I lost my mind when I say that I met Gandhi. Don't worry. I am doing fine. I met him only in a story that I heard. Do you want to hear it? I know you do. So I will tell the story Long time ago, there was a lady in India whose son was eating too much sugar. She tried so many times in vain to ask him to stop eating sugar. After a while, she thought that Gandhi could help. She took her son to Gandhi and begged him to tell him to stop eating sugar. He carefully listen to the lady, and then went: “Please come back in two weeks, I will be able to help you” Two weeks later, the lady came back to see Gandhi. The Mahatma looked in the young boy's eyes and told him: “Please stop eating too much sugar”. That was it. The lady could not believe it. “Do you mean I had to wait two weeks for you to ask my son to stop eating sugar” she said. “Why couldn't tell him in the first place?” Then, Gandhi simply said: “You see madam. Two weeks ago, I was still eating sugar

My Journey to my meeting with Bob Proctor

He is a hero of mine, I have studied his material for years, I had met him once and at that time he even signed one of the books he gave to me. But, spending three hours in an intimate setting, hearing him calling my name, him talking to me from a few feet away was just a dream come true. Bob Proctor is simply a genius. He has been studying the laws of success for over fifty years, but he has a simple way of explaining things that I found myself saying “wow” all the time. I have listened to his audios, read his book and saw hundreds of his videos. It has come to the point where I can finish his sentences before he finishes them. But seeing him live telling his story is another thing. Call me crazy, but I just believe that I will end up working with him. I don't know how or when this is going to happen, but I know I will. It is with the same belief that I know I will one day meet Michael Jordan and Nelson Mandela (being with Pathe'O few weeks ago made me feel I am not that far