Skip to main content

My Journey to a Football Game

When Jim told me that there would be a lot of people at The Taste of the Danforth Greek Food festival, I thought he was joking. I thought the entire city was at the festival. It was fun, it was hot and the food was....You know me. In matters of food, only the quantity matters. Unfortunately we had to leave early as Skylar could not handle the heat. We had fun though.

Talking about Jim, last week he called me and asked me this question: Do you know a guy named Mitch? I had to admit that it was the first time hearing that name. Jim then told me that Mitch called him to ask if he knew a guy named Patrick Bizindavyi. Of course Jim knows me. As it turned out, Mitch works for the Toronto Argonauts. For those of you who have no clue of what I am talking about, the Toronto Argonauts are the 2012-2013 champions of the Canadian Football League (I am talking about American Football).

Long story short, the Argonauts are putting together an event for entrepreneurs on September 3rd at their stadium just before their game against Montreal, and they were looking for 3 speakers for the event. Guess what! I am speaking at the event. I am REALLY looking forward to the opportunity.
The only question I had for Jim was to know how Mitch knew my name. As it turned out, he is working with Lawrence (another friend of mine) who had invited me several months ago to speak at his event in Newmarket. I guess I made a good impression on Lawrence. This is really good stuff.

This whole experience reminded me of my Basketball coaching years. In 1999, we won our first championship (after trying for many years). The way the championship came together is an event that will stay forever in my memory.

We won every single game except against the reigning champions. That defeat was crucial for us. We knew there was no other team that could beat them. On the last day of the season, we were playing a quite inferior team and we knew we would beat them. It was just a formality to finish the season, knowing that the championship had escaped us.

Towards the end of the game, we heard a huge commotion coming from the other side of the court. We had to stop the game to figure out what was going on. To our surprise, it was several people who were coming from another game happening at another court. We didn't know that there was another game that day. Guess what! The team that was supposed to win the championship that season was playing against an inferior team, and.....they lost. Are you kidding me!? Their defeat made us the automatic champions for that season. They thought they would be cruising to victory. Surprise surprise! They lost.

We had worked so hard for years, we deserved to win the championship, but there was no hope for us. Guess what! It ain't over until it's over. We won the championship that year, and the next 2 years as well.

Why am I telling you this story? Just to let you know that, when you have worked so hard and don't seem to go to the next level, just keep the faith. There is something happening at a level that you don't see yet (like the game that was happening at another court that resulted in us winning the championship). At the right time, things will come together for you. I was minding my own business without knowing that the Argonauts were looking for a speaker and that my name was in discussion. What did I do to deserve this? Nothing except that Lawrence was looking for a speaker  several months ago in Newmarket and I showed up. The rest is history.

Moral of the story? Do you want to speak at a stadium? Just coach Basketball and you will eat at a Greek food festival.

Always a pleasure
Patrick
The Journeyman

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Journey to my wedding

Where do I start? I don't really know. As I am waiting for my flight at Kigali airport, with tears in my eyes, I am thinking about the last few days. There are no words that can explain what I have experienced in this month of December 2010. As Phil Collins said, it's another day in paradise. The person who said that words are powerful was so right. It took a few words from my then girlfriend, now wife (are you kidding me!!!!), to start a series of events that led me to this moment. She just said: “Honey, this long distance thing is killing me”. Having been in a couple of long distance relationships, I knew what she meant. This time, it was different. I had to do something, otherwise, this relationship would end up like the other ones. I had promised myself to do whatever it took to make this one work. As I hung up the phone, I thought I had to move mountains. I had to find a way to meet her. Originally, my intention was to visit her in July 2011, however, this felt like a cent

My Journey to my meeting with Bob Proctor

He is a hero of mine, I have studied his material for years, I had met him once and at that time he even signed one of the books he gave to me. But, spending three hours in an intimate setting, hearing him calling my name, him talking to me from a few feet away was just a dream come true. Bob Proctor is simply a genius. He has been studying the laws of success for over fifty years, but he has a simple way of explaining things that I found myself saying “wow” all the time. I have listened to his audios, read his book and saw hundreds of his videos. It has come to the point where I can finish his sentences before he finishes them. But seeing him live telling his story is another thing. Call me crazy, but I just believe that I will end up working with him. I don't know how or when this is going to happen, but I know I will. It is with the same belief that I know I will one day meet Michael Jordan and Nelson Mandela (being with Pathe'O few weeks ago made me feel I am not that far

My Journey to a meeting with Gandhi

You must be thinking that I lost my mind when I say that I met Gandhi. Don't worry. I am doing fine. I met him only in a story that I heard. Do you want to hear it? I know you do. So I will tell the story Long time ago, there was a lady in India whose son was eating too much sugar. She tried so many times in vain to ask him to stop eating sugar. After a while, she thought that Gandhi could help. She took her son to Gandhi and begged him to tell him to stop eating sugar. He carefully listen to the lady, and then went: “Please come back in two weeks, I will be able to help you” Two weeks later, the lady came back to see Gandhi. The Mahatma looked in the young boy's eyes and told him: “Please stop eating too much sugar”. That was it. The lady could not believe it. “Do you mean I had to wait two weeks for you to ask my son to stop eating sugar” she said. “Why couldn't tell him in the first place?” Then, Gandhi simply said: “You see madam. Two weeks ago, I was still eating sugar