Skip to main content

My Journey with The Coach

Hello there

Jim, thanks AGAIN for your reminder to post my blog today. You are officially in charge of holding me accountable. I hope I did good today lol.

It's been such a joy raising our daughter. Everyday she surprises us with new stuff. Now she is speaking one word. She started two days ago. Do you know what that word is? I was glad when I heard it. She learned to say "Thank you". Whenever you give her something, she makes sure to say thank you (it's exactly what I always do when people invite me to...eat).

I was talking about it with my wife yesterday, and we came up with the same conclusion. It is not by chance that Skylar is saying the words thank you. You see, a couple of months ago, my wife came up with this brilliant idea. Everyday, before going to sleep, each one of us has to say what we are thankful for. At first it seemed to be redundant, as we were coming up with the same list day in day out, but after a while it became deeper and deeper. I have to confess. Two days ago, I even broke into tears when I remembered what we had to overcome and where we are today. I can guarantee you, we don't take things for granted anymore.

I heard someone say that energy flows where attention goes. Our attention has been focussed on what we are thankful for, and each day there is something good happening. Of course there are times that we bump into challenges, but we do not give them energy. No wonder Skylar's new word is...Thank you. I am really looking forward to the day she is going to say "Thank You God".

Anyway...

I just finished reading Phil Jackson's new book "Eleven Rings..". For non Basketball fans, Phil Jackson is the coach who won 11 NBA championships, 6 with Michael Jordan's Chicago Bulls, and 5 with Kobe Bryant's Los Angeles Lakers. He holds the record of the most championships as a coach.

I have been following the NBA for many years (my wife just forbidden me to write how many years...It's just crazy). Most of the things Phil was talking about were not strange to me. But it was so great to learn what was happening behind the scenes, and how he was able to manage big egos like Jordan, Kobe, Shaq..., and especially how he dealt with, let just say, unpredictable players such as Dennis Rodman and Ron Artest aka Metta World Peace.

I learned so much from the coach mostly about leadership and selflessness. There is a part in the book where he mentioned that a young Kobe Bryant asked him to make him the team co-captain. He just looked him in the eyes and told him that no one can be a leader when nobody wants to follow him. Kobe had to change a lot before Phil could trust him to be a leader.

I also learned from him what he did to master his emotions. This guy is incredible. The world could be upside down, everything crumbling around him, he never panics. That's why they called him "The Zen Master". Basically, what he said is that anything that can potentially affect us emotionally is simple a test. Are we willing to pass the test and keep our cool no matter what? That is what I am learning. Would you join me in this journey? I hope so.

Moral of the story? Do you want to learn from a great coach? Just say thank you and you will read a great book.

Always a pleasure
Patrick
The Jouneyman.
www.unleashedpossibilities.net
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Journey to my wedding

Where do I start? I don't really know. As I am waiting for my flight at Kigali airport, with tears in my eyes, I am thinking about the last few days. There are no words that can explain what I have experienced in this month of December 2010. As Phil Collins said, it's another day in paradise. The person who said that words are powerful was so right. It took a few words from my then girlfriend, now wife (are you kidding me!!!!), to start a series of events that led me to this moment. She just said: “Honey, this long distance thing is killing me”. Having been in a couple of long distance relationships, I knew what she meant. This time, it was different. I had to do something, otherwise, this relationship would end up like the other ones. I had promised myself to do whatever it took to make this one work. As I hung up the phone, I thought I had to move mountains. I had to find a way to meet her. Originally, my intention was to visit her in July 2011, however, this felt like a cent

My Journey to my meeting with Bob Proctor

He is a hero of mine, I have studied his material for years, I had met him once and at that time he even signed one of the books he gave to me. But, spending three hours in an intimate setting, hearing him calling my name, him talking to me from a few feet away was just a dream come true. Bob Proctor is simply a genius. He has been studying the laws of success for over fifty years, but he has a simple way of explaining things that I found myself saying “wow” all the time. I have listened to his audios, read his book and saw hundreds of his videos. It has come to the point where I can finish his sentences before he finishes them. But seeing him live telling his story is another thing. Call me crazy, but I just believe that I will end up working with him. I don't know how or when this is going to happen, but I know I will. It is with the same belief that I know I will one day meet Michael Jordan and Nelson Mandela (being with Pathe'O few weeks ago made me feel I am not that far

My Journey to a meeting with Gandhi

You must be thinking that I lost my mind when I say that I met Gandhi. Don't worry. I am doing fine. I met him only in a story that I heard. Do you want to hear it? I know you do. So I will tell the story Long time ago, there was a lady in India whose son was eating too much sugar. She tried so many times in vain to ask him to stop eating sugar. After a while, she thought that Gandhi could help. She took her son to Gandhi and begged him to tell him to stop eating sugar. He carefully listen to the lady, and then went: “Please come back in two weeks, I will be able to help you” Two weeks later, the lady came back to see Gandhi. The Mahatma looked in the young boy's eyes and told him: “Please stop eating too much sugar”. That was it. The lady could not believe it. “Do you mean I had to wait two weeks for you to ask my son to stop eating sugar” she said. “Why couldn't tell him in the first place?” Then, Gandhi simply said: “You see madam. Two weeks ago, I was still eating sugar