Skip to main content

My Journey With Richard

You might be wondering who the heck is Richard.
He is a gentleman I met a while ago when I was participating in a training program for coaches. For two days, I was part of a class where we learned how to customize our coaching approach when working with new immigrants to Canada. The training was amazing and I am looking forward to the next part where we will be assigned a person to coach for 6 months.

During the first day of training, they told us they would bring somebody to share a story about how the coaching program had helped him to find his first job in Canada. Richard was the guy.

He was well dressed, he was funny and he was ready to share his story.

Richard has been in Canada for only five months now. He was a very successful professional in his native country and also had experience working in many Asian countries. He was very successful before coming to Canada.

When he started to share his story it didn't take too long to realize that his first days in Canada were very tough. I won't go into details about what he shared with us, but I was moved to tears. It was a very inspiring true story.

At the end of his presentation, he shared that before coming to Canada he had a plan (he showed us his very impressive plan). Guess what? Despite all the challenges he went through, he recently hit his first goal in less than five months in Canada. He is a man on a mission. I was very much inspired.

This brings me to the reason why I am sharing Richard's story with you.

You see, the entire training was very good for us (and the trainer was amazing). But hearing Richard's story was something else. I can't stop thinking about it, which leads me to this question: what is your story? What are the three moments of your life that you credit for making you the person  you are today?

If you stop and think about it, you will be amazed how your life can be summed up in a few "events" that led to where you are now;  and when you share your story with someone else, you have no idea how impact full it can be.

My challenge to you is to share your story with somebody and listen to his or hers as well. Not only will you find that you have many things in common with that person, but you will also be an inspiration to him, or her. Richard was my inspiration, and I am glad I was there to listen to him.

Moral of the story? Do you want to have a plan for your life? Just tell your story and you will meet Richard.

Always a pleasure

Patrick
The Journeyman

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Journey to my wedding

Where do I start? I don't really know. As I am waiting for my flight at Kigali airport, with tears in my eyes, I am thinking about the last few days. There are no words that can explain what I have experienced in this month of December 2010. As Phil Collins said, it's another day in paradise. The person who said that words are powerful was so right. It took a few words from my then girlfriend, now wife (are you kidding me!!!!), to start a series of events that led me to this moment. She just said: “Honey, this long distance thing is killing me”. Having been in a couple of long distance relationships, I knew what she meant. This time, it was different. I had to do something, otherwise, this relationship would end up like the other ones. I had promised myself to do whatever it took to make this one work. As I hung up the phone, I thought I had to move mountains. I had to find a way to meet her. Originally, my intention was to visit her in July 2011, however, this felt like a cent

My Journey to my meeting with Bob Proctor

He is a hero of mine, I have studied his material for years, I had met him once and at that time he even signed one of the books he gave to me. But, spending three hours in an intimate setting, hearing him calling my name, him talking to me from a few feet away was just a dream come true. Bob Proctor is simply a genius. He has been studying the laws of success for over fifty years, but he has a simple way of explaining things that I found myself saying “wow” all the time. I have listened to his audios, read his book and saw hundreds of his videos. It has come to the point where I can finish his sentences before he finishes them. But seeing him live telling his story is another thing. Call me crazy, but I just believe that I will end up working with him. I don't know how or when this is going to happen, but I know I will. It is with the same belief that I know I will one day meet Michael Jordan and Nelson Mandela (being with Pathe'O few weeks ago made me feel I am not that far

My Journey to a meeting with Gandhi

You must be thinking that I lost my mind when I say that I met Gandhi. Don't worry. I am doing fine. I met him only in a story that I heard. Do you want to hear it? I know you do. So I will tell the story Long time ago, there was a lady in India whose son was eating too much sugar. She tried so many times in vain to ask him to stop eating sugar. After a while, she thought that Gandhi could help. She took her son to Gandhi and begged him to tell him to stop eating sugar. He carefully listen to the lady, and then went: “Please come back in two weeks, I will be able to help you” Two weeks later, the lady came back to see Gandhi. The Mahatma looked in the young boy's eyes and told him: “Please stop eating too much sugar”. That was it. The lady could not believe it. “Do you mean I had to wait two weeks for you to ask my son to stop eating sugar” she said. “Why couldn't tell him in the first place?” Then, Gandhi simply said: “You see madam. Two weeks ago, I was still eating sugar