Skip to main content

My Journey with my Boss


As the church service was finished a couple of weeks ago, I went to look for my two and half year daughter where she was with other kids. We came over to the big auditorium and she rushed towards the drums (I guess she had found her career). She loves playing musical instruments a lot. Here she is, making a lot of noise with the drums, and I find myself calling her: “Skylar come here”. I said. She looked at me and just says: “No”. This went on for about three minutes. I wanted her to come over so that I can help her put on her jacket as it was time to go home. As she kept playing the drums, two friends of mine were standing nearby laughing. When I asked them why they were laughing, they just said: “we now can see who the boss is”. Clearly, she is the boss.

I got to experience it again this weekend. We had made plans to go out with friends on Valentine’s Day. Everything was in place for us to go out and have fun. We even had a friend who agreed to take care of Skylar when we were away. But Skylar had other plans. She woke up coughing and with a very high fever. Guess what! We did not go out. Who is the boss again? I guess she is. She decides, and I execute.

Being a parent has been such an amazing experience. It brings such a joy to be around my daughter and to experience every step of her growing up. Now she is into counting. She can count up to twenty (and she is just two and half years old!!!). She even decides when I can watch TV. When she is awake, she is singing all the time that we cannot watch anything. She sings all the time. I have to wait for her to go to sleep so that I can watch anything undisturbed. My friend Alix came over our house on Sunday to watch the NBA All Star Game with me. There were two shows going on. The Basketball game and Skylar’s singing performance. It was crazy.

I am learning a lot in the process. My daughter thinks that I can fix anything (I wish). She trusts that I can fix her broken toys, she trusts that I can ask the other kids on the train to give up their drinks so that Skylar can drink them lol, she trusts that I will be there all the time to comfort her when needed. I am learning to have more faith just by observing her.

She always reminds me of this poem when I am with her. It goes like this:

"BROKEN DREAMS"
As children bring their broken toys
With tears for us to mend.
I brought my broken dreams to God
Because He was my Friend.

But then instead of leaving Him
In peace to work alone,
I hung around and tried to help
With ways that were my own.

At last I snatched the back and cried,
"How could You be so slow"-
"My child," He said,
"What could I do? You never did let go."
Author: Unknown

I am learning to bring my broken dreams to God for Him to fix them, and I am trying my best to leave Him alone and let go. I learned that from my daughter.

Moral of the story? Do you want a new boss? Just give me a call and I will introduce you to my daughter.


Always a pleasure
Patrick
The Journeyman


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Journey to my wedding

Where do I start? I don't really know. As I am waiting for my flight at Kigali airport, with tears in my eyes, I am thinking about the last few days. There are no words that can explain what I have experienced in this month of December 2010. As Phil Collins said, it's another day in paradise. The person who said that words are powerful was so right. It took a few words from my then girlfriend, now wife (are you kidding me!!!!), to start a series of events that led me to this moment. She just said: “Honey, this long distance thing is killing me”. Having been in a couple of long distance relationships, I knew what she meant. This time, it was different. I had to do something, otherwise, this relationship would end up like the other ones. I had promised myself to do whatever it took to make this one work. As I hung up the phone, I thought I had to move mountains. I had to find a way to meet her. Originally, my intention was to visit her in July 2011, however, this felt like a cent

My Journey to my meeting with Bob Proctor

He is a hero of mine, I have studied his material for years, I had met him once and at that time he even signed one of the books he gave to me. But, spending three hours in an intimate setting, hearing him calling my name, him talking to me from a few feet away was just a dream come true. Bob Proctor is simply a genius. He has been studying the laws of success for over fifty years, but he has a simple way of explaining things that I found myself saying “wow” all the time. I have listened to his audios, read his book and saw hundreds of his videos. It has come to the point where I can finish his sentences before he finishes them. But seeing him live telling his story is another thing. Call me crazy, but I just believe that I will end up working with him. I don't know how or when this is going to happen, but I know I will. It is with the same belief that I know I will one day meet Michael Jordan and Nelson Mandela (being with Pathe'O few weeks ago made me feel I am not that far

My Journey to a meeting with Gandhi

You must be thinking that I lost my mind when I say that I met Gandhi. Don't worry. I am doing fine. I met him only in a story that I heard. Do you want to hear it? I know you do. So I will tell the story Long time ago, there was a lady in India whose son was eating too much sugar. She tried so many times in vain to ask him to stop eating sugar. After a while, she thought that Gandhi could help. She took her son to Gandhi and begged him to tell him to stop eating sugar. He carefully listen to the lady, and then went: “Please come back in two weeks, I will be able to help you” Two weeks later, the lady came back to see Gandhi. The Mahatma looked in the young boy's eyes and told him: “Please stop eating too much sugar”. That was it. The lady could not believe it. “Do you mean I had to wait two weeks for you to ask my son to stop eating sugar” she said. “Why couldn't tell him in the first place?” Then, Gandhi simply said: “You see madam. Two weeks ago, I was still eating sugar