Skip to main content

My Journey with A Wise Man

                                                         

His name carries a lot of weight where I am from. In fact he has been of service for our country for over five decades. He has earned tons of respect from his countrymen.

It was with great surprise that one day as I was checking my voicemail and heard his voice. He needed not to mention his name. I recognized his voice right away. He mentioned that he got my name from a friend of mine who told him a lot about me (I really don’t know what he heard, but I am glad I was the recipient of his call).

I called him back and we agreed to meet a week later. The meeting did not happen that week or that month. For some reasons something was coming up all the time. We did not get to meet, until a few weeks ago. I was attending an event, and he happened to be there. I went to him, with a lot of respect, mentioned my name and shook his hand. It was like being in front of a monument. I do respect the guy.

We talked a little bit and he promised to give me a call. I was looking forward to that call.
A few days went by and I forgot about it.

As I was about to go to sleep a few days ago, I found myself thinking about…my country. A lot of people that I talk to are not happy about what is going on down there. Let’s say that things can be better (that is me being politically correct).

I started to ask myself a question. If I had all the means I can ask for, what would I do in Burundi? An hour later I was still daydreaming (I don’t know if I can call it daydreaming, because it was at night). It was too big that I did not know where I could start.

Guess what! A day later, I was still thinking about the same things. It almost became an obsession. I had to let it go. I had to find something else to do or think about. About that time, my phone rang. It was the gentleman I told you about. What a great surprise! We agreed to meet three days later. I was so excited to meet him, but also a little bit curious to find out why he wanted to speak to me.
So, last Wednesday, I went to his home. We were supposed to meet at 3.30 in the afternoon, I was there at 3.

Punctual ? A little bit. Excited? A lot.

He greeted me as if I was his long-time friend. I was so honoured you cannot believe.

We talked for a while, I did my best to talk about myself (I felt like I was in a job interview). Then, he told me the reason why he wanted to talk to me. As it turned out, the gentleman has written a book about…., can you guess? The book is about how to bring sustainable development to Burundi. I was like, are you kidding me? Was he present when I was daydreaming or what?

The book is amazing! It contains every answer to all my questions. The gentleman just wanted to have someone he could talk to about the book, create a kind of mastermind on how we can implement the ideas contained in the book. I was like “count me in”.

He gave me the book. I have started to read it. We agreed to meet again. I am looking forward to meeting him again.

I heard somebody saying that thoughts become things. It has been my experience this week. The fact of thinking a lot about Burundi has materialized into me meeting the gentleman and him giving me his book. That is what I think (here we go again with me thinking again..). Now I have to be careful about what I am going to think about. It can come to pass.

Moral of the story? Do you want to make a difference in your country? Just think about it a lot and you will read a book

Always a pleasure
Patrick
The Journeyman


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Journey to my wedding

Where do I start? I don't really know. As I am waiting for my flight at Kigali airport, with tears in my eyes, I am thinking about the last few days. There are no words that can explain what I have experienced in this month of December 2010. As Phil Collins said, it's another day in paradise. The person who said that words are powerful was so right. It took a few words from my then girlfriend, now wife (are you kidding me!!!!), to start a series of events that led me to this moment. She just said: “Honey, this long distance thing is killing me”. Having been in a couple of long distance relationships, I knew what she meant. This time, it was different. I had to do something, otherwise, this relationship would end up like the other ones. I had promised myself to do whatever it took to make this one work. As I hung up the phone, I thought I had to move mountains. I had to find a way to meet her. Originally, my intention was to visit her in July 2011, however, this felt like a cent

My Journey to my meeting with Bob Proctor

He is a hero of mine, I have studied his material for years, I had met him once and at that time he even signed one of the books he gave to me. But, spending three hours in an intimate setting, hearing him calling my name, him talking to me from a few feet away was just a dream come true. Bob Proctor is simply a genius. He has been studying the laws of success for over fifty years, but he has a simple way of explaining things that I found myself saying “wow” all the time. I have listened to his audios, read his book and saw hundreds of his videos. It has come to the point where I can finish his sentences before he finishes them. But seeing him live telling his story is another thing. Call me crazy, but I just believe that I will end up working with him. I don't know how or when this is going to happen, but I know I will. It is with the same belief that I know I will one day meet Michael Jordan and Nelson Mandela (being with Pathe'O few weeks ago made me feel I am not that far

My Journey to a meeting with Gandhi

You must be thinking that I lost my mind when I say that I met Gandhi. Don't worry. I am doing fine. I met him only in a story that I heard. Do you want to hear it? I know you do. So I will tell the story Long time ago, there was a lady in India whose son was eating too much sugar. She tried so many times in vain to ask him to stop eating sugar. After a while, she thought that Gandhi could help. She took her son to Gandhi and begged him to tell him to stop eating sugar. He carefully listen to the lady, and then went: “Please come back in two weeks, I will be able to help you” Two weeks later, the lady came back to see Gandhi. The Mahatma looked in the young boy's eyes and told him: “Please stop eating too much sugar”. That was it. The lady could not believe it. “Do you mean I had to wait two weeks for you to ask my son to stop eating sugar” she said. “Why couldn't tell him in the first place?” Then, Gandhi simply said: “You see madam. Two weeks ago, I was still eating sugar