Skip to main content

My Journey with Fidèle


It has been quite a few busy weeks that involved a round trip to Ottawa on Saturday and preaching during a Sunday church service (yes, I was surprised too when I was asked to do it). All this time I was thinking about what I would be writing about on this week’s blog. I had a vague idea, but I did not know how to formulate it.

That was until I received a message on Facebook from a friend asking me to speak at an upcoming event in January. The topic of my presentation would be “The Moment that Defined Your Life”. The person who sent me the invitation did not know that I had been thinking about the same topic days prior to her message.

It all started when I was at a Toronto Raptors game. I have been reporting on the games for almost two months now, but I am still in awe every time I am at the arena. I can’t believe this is happening to me. I have been in rooms with childhood idols, biggest stars of the game, coaches, reporters, you name it. And every time I am saying “wow”. The other day, movie star and comedian Chris Tucker was standing at a few feet away from me. I almost looked around to see if Jackie Chan was in the room. It has been quite unbelievable, and I am not taking this for granted at all. I am so grateful.

So many opportunities have come my way the last few months that took my breath away. My friend Elvis asked me the other day: “what prayer did you pray at the beginning of this year? “. I laughed and answered to him “I guess God has seen all the struggles I have been through for years and thought that it was enough for now”.

As I was waiting for the Raptors game to start, going over my notes, a thought came to me. “How come I am here?” I asked myself. What really lead to this fortunate event for me? I couldn’t really figure out the exact moment that triggered everything. As I kept thinking, the memory of my late friend Fidèle Nsengiyunva kept coming back.

Fidèle was the cousin of my childhood best friends, and we grew up playing Basketball together. He had such a sense of humour that all of us had great time being around him.
Many years later, Fidèle became my neighbour. One day, he told me that he had started coaching a ladies Basketball team. I thought it was one of his usual jokes. I had to go and see it in person to believe it. The first time I went to watch him train the team, my whole purpose of me being there was to laugh at him.

Long story short, I ended up being the Head Coach of the same ladies’ team and won over 15 trophies in less than 7 years. If it hadn’t been me wanting to laugh at my friend Fidèle, there is no way I would have been at the Raptors game (many years later).

Coaching Basketball had opened so many doors for me (including landing my dream job of a sport reporter), that almost every success I have encountered in my life can be credited to coaching Basketball (including overcoming struggles).

However, going to the Basketball court to have fun at the expense of my friend Fidèle was never considered as a defining moment in my life, the day it happened. Now I know that it was. It is only looking back that we are able to connect the dots.

The lesson I have learned from this, is that there is no ordinary moment. Every second that we are alive is a defining moment. If we see life through those lenses, life becomes an unfolding miracle, at every moment (I think I just earned a PhD in Philosophy with this one).
Thank you Fidèle for being in my life. I will be forever thankful to you, and I know that I will see you on the other side. May you Rest in Peace.

Moral of the story? Do you want to live amazing moments? Go out and laugh at your friends, and you will be at an NBA game

Always a pleasure
Patrick
The Journeyman



Comments

  1. Ton ami Fidele était une connexion divine. Il était là pour t'ouvrir des portes et te propulser, sans même probablement s'en rende compte. May he RIP.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Useful post content. You have provided exceptional info about registered camp sites. I am appreciated your brilliant work. I am looking forward for your next helpful content.Abc ya free games || y8 games online ||friv free games

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

My Journey to my wedding

Where do I start? I don't really know. As I am waiting for my flight at Kigali airport, with tears in my eyes, I am thinking about the last few days. There are no words that can explain what I have experienced in this month of December 2010. As Phil Collins said, it's another day in paradise. The person who said that words are powerful was so right. It took a few words from my then girlfriend, now wife (are you kidding me!!!!), to start a series of events that led me to this moment. She just said: “Honey, this long distance thing is killing me”. Having been in a couple of long distance relationships, I knew what she meant. This time, it was different. I had to do something, otherwise, this relationship would end up like the other ones. I had promised myself to do whatever it took to make this one work. As I hung up the phone, I thought I had to move mountains. I had to find a way to meet her. Originally, my intention was to visit her in July 2011, however, this felt like a cent

My Journey to my meeting with Bob Proctor

He is a hero of mine, I have studied his material for years, I had met him once and at that time he even signed one of the books he gave to me. But, spending three hours in an intimate setting, hearing him calling my name, him talking to me from a few feet away was just a dream come true. Bob Proctor is simply a genius. He has been studying the laws of success for over fifty years, but he has a simple way of explaining things that I found myself saying “wow” all the time. I have listened to his audios, read his book and saw hundreds of his videos. It has come to the point where I can finish his sentences before he finishes them. But seeing him live telling his story is another thing. Call me crazy, but I just believe that I will end up working with him. I don't know how or when this is going to happen, but I know I will. It is with the same belief that I know I will one day meet Michael Jordan and Nelson Mandela (being with Pathe'O few weeks ago made me feel I am not that far

My Journey to a meeting with Gandhi

You must be thinking that I lost my mind when I say that I met Gandhi. Don't worry. I am doing fine. I met him only in a story that I heard. Do you want to hear it? I know you do. So I will tell the story Long time ago, there was a lady in India whose son was eating too much sugar. She tried so many times in vain to ask him to stop eating sugar. After a while, she thought that Gandhi could help. She took her son to Gandhi and begged him to tell him to stop eating sugar. He carefully listen to the lady, and then went: “Please come back in two weeks, I will be able to help you” Two weeks later, the lady came back to see Gandhi. The Mahatma looked in the young boy's eyes and told him: “Please stop eating too much sugar”. That was it. The lady could not believe it. “Do you mean I had to wait two weeks for you to ask my son to stop eating sugar” she said. “Why couldn't tell him in the first place?” Then, Gandhi simply said: “You see madam. Two weeks ago, I was still eating sugar