Skip to main content

My Journey to A Month of Fatherhood

Our daughter is today one month old. We celebrated it by the regular doctor's check up. Once again she is fine, she gained weight and she is still beautiful (and I am not bias lol)

It's been a month of numerous adjustments in our lives my wife and I. The first week was crazy. After five days of three hours sleep a night, I thought I was going nuts, so was my wife. We had to adjust and we found a system that works for us. It's good that I work from home most of the times, otherwise it would be hard for my wife to manage it all. Now I really do have an incredible respect for single moms.

Yesterday was one of those nights when my wife couldn't sleep. In the morning, it was my turn to take care of the baby so that my wife could sleep a little. As I was putting the baby to sleep, I couldn't keep my eyes off of her. It will take a while before it sinks in that I am a father.

After spending a month with the baby, I can tell when she is hungry, when she needs sleep, when it's time to change diapers (that is the obvious one lol), and when it's time for fun. She has a way of communicating her needs, and of course as parents we have to address those. Sometimes, she doesn't get exactly what she wants, like when she is crying when we are putting her in a car seat before heading out. We know it's the best thing for her, even though she is crying, we do not back down. We do what we got to do.

As I was holding her in my arms today, I started thinking. There is nothing I cannot do for my child. Whatever she needs, I have to do whatever it takes to make it happen. All she has to do is ask (in her own way). Even though sometimes it hurts, I do things for her to protect her (the car seat...). She often cries when it happens, but it is for own benefit. One day she will understand. There are also things I cannot give her, as she would need to grow up for her to have them. All of this is done out of the love I have for her.

As I was thinking about all the above stuff, an “aha” moment just flashed in my mind. What if God is doing the same thing for us? All we have to do is ask and He will provide everything we need. Sometimes we experience things that hurt (the car seat), but it is for our own benefit and protection. Some other times we ask for things but don't get them, and all that God is saying is: grow up!

All the above things are done out of the love He has for us. Is that cool or what?

Moral of the story? Do you want to experience an “aha” moment? Just ask for things. If you don't get them, the message is clear: grow up!


Always a pleasure

Patrick
The Journeyman

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Journey to my wedding

Where do I start? I don't really know. As I am waiting for my flight at Kigali airport, with tears in my eyes, I am thinking about the last few days. There are no words that can explain what I have experienced in this month of December 2010. As Phil Collins said, it's another day in paradise. The person who said that words are powerful was so right. It took a few words from my then girlfriend, now wife (are you kidding me!!!!), to start a series of events that led me to this moment. She just said: “Honey, this long distance thing is killing me”. Having been in a couple of long distance relationships, I knew what she meant. This time, it was different. I had to do something, otherwise, this relationship would end up like the other ones. I had promised myself to do whatever it took to make this one work. As I hung up the phone, I thought I had to move mountains. I had to find a way to meet her. Originally, my intention was to visit her in July 2011, however, this felt like a cent

My Journey to my meeting with Bob Proctor

He is a hero of mine, I have studied his material for years, I had met him once and at that time he even signed one of the books he gave to me. But, spending three hours in an intimate setting, hearing him calling my name, him talking to me from a few feet away was just a dream come true. Bob Proctor is simply a genius. He has been studying the laws of success for over fifty years, but he has a simple way of explaining things that I found myself saying “wow” all the time. I have listened to his audios, read his book and saw hundreds of his videos. It has come to the point where I can finish his sentences before he finishes them. But seeing him live telling his story is another thing. Call me crazy, but I just believe that I will end up working with him. I don't know how or when this is going to happen, but I know I will. It is with the same belief that I know I will one day meet Michael Jordan and Nelson Mandela (being with Pathe'O few weeks ago made me feel I am not that far

My Journey to a meeting with Gandhi

You must be thinking that I lost my mind when I say that I met Gandhi. Don't worry. I am doing fine. I met him only in a story that I heard. Do you want to hear it? I know you do. So I will tell the story Long time ago, there was a lady in India whose son was eating too much sugar. She tried so many times in vain to ask him to stop eating sugar. After a while, she thought that Gandhi could help. She took her son to Gandhi and begged him to tell him to stop eating sugar. He carefully listen to the lady, and then went: “Please come back in two weeks, I will be able to help you” Two weeks later, the lady came back to see Gandhi. The Mahatma looked in the young boy's eyes and told him: “Please stop eating too much sugar”. That was it. The lady could not believe it. “Do you mean I had to wait two weeks for you to ask my son to stop eating sugar” she said. “Why couldn't tell him in the first place?” Then, Gandhi simply said: “You see madam. Two weeks ago, I was still eating sugar