Skip to main content

My Journey to the Daycare

As we prepare to celebrate our daughter’s second birthday, I am amazed at how quickly she is growing up. Since she was born, I have taken pictures and videos of her (I think I now have hundreds of them).

While on the subway on our way to her daycare, whenever I want her to keep quiet, I would give her my phone so that she can watch her own videos. I am amazed how, at almost two years old, she knows how to use a phone. She knows where to find the videos; if she does not like one of them, she knows how to switch to the next one. It’s simply incredible. She can do stuff with the phone that even I don’t know how to do.

If she is not using the phone, she simply starts to sing. She sings so loudly that people on the subway can't help but watch and laugh  (I think she is the next Celine Dion). As soon as we get off the train, she begins greeting everybody that we meet with a high five while continuing to sing. It’s quite a journey; and what I have shared with you is only what happens during our morning journey to her daycare.

She is so excited to see me when I return to pick her up in the afternoon.  As soon as she sees me, she stops all that she was doing and runs towards me shouting “daddyyyyy”. She is so excited to see me until we get to her stroller. That is when she starts asking me “what do you have for me today?” I better have something, a snack or anything; or otherwise I am in trouble. In terms of food, she is really like her dad. As soon as she finishes her snack, it’s singing time again, until we get home.

Just the other day, on our way to church we passed by a homeless guy who was begging for money. She saw him and offered him the biggest smile I have ever seen, and she offered him her usual high five. I was amazed!

She is only two years old but she is teaching me many lessons.  I didn't realize how much she had grown until I looked at her pictures from last year. Isn’t it the same for us? We go through life, sometimes complaining that we haven’t reached our goals, until we look back at where we were a year ago. It is certainly the case when it comes to me. I am not where I want to be, but thank God I am not where I used be (especially last year).

Her loud and innocent singing on the subway always amazes me, because she doesn't care what anyone thinks of her. She sings regardless of who is there, and people love it. I wonder how would people perceive an adult who did the same thing? My guess is that people would think there is something wrong with him or her. But when it comes to my daughter they view her as expressing her joy with no fear of being judged. I wish I could do the same.

How about the homeless guy? She doesn't even know if he is homeless. She just smiles at him and gives him a high five. In my mind, I am judging the guy, but she is offering him what she has: a smile and a high five. If only I could do that with everybody.

I can go on and on, because I am learning from her constantly. Like her way of asking me “what did you bring for me today?” It is a reminder for me to always go boldly and ask for what I want. Two days ago, I was rushing to get to the daycare on time, and I did not pass by the store to get her snack. Well you probably guessed what happened; I got into serious in trouble.

As I am write this blog early in the morning, I can’t wait for her to wake up so that I could learn one more lesson from her. Maybe today I will take some singing lessons. That would be really tough for her as I am a hopelessly bad singer.

Moral of the story? Do you want to learn life lessons? Just go to the daycare and you will eat some snacks.

Always a pleasure
Patrick
The Journeyman

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Journey to my wedding

Where do I start? I don't really know. As I am waiting for my flight at Kigali airport, with tears in my eyes, I am thinking about the last few days. There are no words that can explain what I have experienced in this month of December 2010. As Phil Collins said, it's another day in paradise. The person who said that words are powerful was so right. It took a few words from my then girlfriend, now wife (are you kidding me!!!!), to start a series of events that led me to this moment. She just said: “Honey, this long distance thing is killing me”. Having been in a couple of long distance relationships, I knew what she meant. This time, it was different. I had to do something, otherwise, this relationship would end up like the other ones. I had promised myself to do whatever it took to make this one work. As I hung up the phone, I thought I had to move mountains. I had to find a way to meet her. Originally, my intention was to visit her in July 2011, however, this felt like a cent

My Journey to my meeting with Bob Proctor

He is a hero of mine, I have studied his material for years, I had met him once and at that time he even signed one of the books he gave to me. But, spending three hours in an intimate setting, hearing him calling my name, him talking to me from a few feet away was just a dream come true. Bob Proctor is simply a genius. He has been studying the laws of success for over fifty years, but he has a simple way of explaining things that I found myself saying “wow” all the time. I have listened to his audios, read his book and saw hundreds of his videos. It has come to the point where I can finish his sentences before he finishes them. But seeing him live telling his story is another thing. Call me crazy, but I just believe that I will end up working with him. I don't know how or when this is going to happen, but I know I will. It is with the same belief that I know I will one day meet Michael Jordan and Nelson Mandela (being with Pathe'O few weeks ago made me feel I am not that far

My Journey to a meeting with Gandhi

You must be thinking that I lost my mind when I say that I met Gandhi. Don't worry. I am doing fine. I met him only in a story that I heard. Do you want to hear it? I know you do. So I will tell the story Long time ago, there was a lady in India whose son was eating too much sugar. She tried so many times in vain to ask him to stop eating sugar. After a while, she thought that Gandhi could help. She took her son to Gandhi and begged him to tell him to stop eating sugar. He carefully listen to the lady, and then went: “Please come back in two weeks, I will be able to help you” Two weeks later, the lady came back to see Gandhi. The Mahatma looked in the young boy's eyes and told him: “Please stop eating too much sugar”. That was it. The lady could not believe it. “Do you mean I had to wait two weeks for you to ask my son to stop eating sugar” she said. “Why couldn't tell him in the first place?” Then, Gandhi simply said: “You see madam. Two weeks ago, I was still eating sugar