Skip to main content

My Journey with the Orange Ball


I have to say that the feedback I received from last week's blog was overwhelming. It made me realize how selfish I was for not sharing my up and down journey. Many of you readers have reached out to share your journeys with me. I was so blessed by each of you and the part of your life journey you shared with me.  I have learned that whatever I am going through, somebody else is going through worse. That helps me put things into perceptive.

    Thank you.

Last Saturday I got to watch the rerun of the Basketball Hall of Fame Ceremonies. It was an amazing show. All the inductees shared their stories; some of them were very emotional while others were simply funny.

It is quite an honour to be chosen to be in a select group of elite players, coaches, executives and many others who have impacted the game in many ways.

As there is little chance for me to be a Basketball hall of famer (the chances are almost zero, but I am keeping an open mind), I am glad I have a platform on which I can share my Basketball journey (don't change the channel please).

I started watching the NBA in 1985. Oh yeah.  Some of you were not born yet. We would gather at my friend's home to watch games on VHS tapes (Google that one if you don't know what VHS is) while their parents were away. I fell in love with the game and became obsessed with Michael Jordan. I remember a bunch of us deciding to cut our hair so that we could look like Mike. Crazy stuff man.
I later joined a Basketball team and played in the local league for over 10 years (among which 5 were spent on the bench haha).

I was still obsessively watching the NBA. I don't think I have ever missed watching the NBA finals or the All-Star Game... at least not in recent years.

While playing for the University team, I started coaching a local ladies team and, boy did I have the time of my life. I can surely say that those have been the best days of my life so far.
Basketball opened so many doors for me. 

I got a chance to work with amazing people like Eugene Nindorera (what a mentor he was!). Ziaddy became my best friend. I travelled to many countries in Africa and Europe, had the honour of being part of the Board of Directors of the country's Basketball Federation, landed my dream job as a sports reporter in one of the local radio stations, travelled with the National team that went to compete in the Central Africa tournament and for two straight years I organized a summer Basketball camp that impacted over 2000 young people across the city. The list can go on and on. Along the way, the team I was coaching won 15 trophies in 7 years! What a blast!

I will never forget the NBA Finals at my friend Kennedy's home. Fifteen to twenty of us would gather to watch the games late at night. I am talking about 1 am or 3 am depending on where the game was being played (time zone difference). Reine (Kennedy's wife) would cook for us and some of us would even sleep at their home before the games.  The neighbours wondered what was happening as the trash talking went on and on. All of us would go to work, or to school in the morning having slept for only two hours. That is what I call commitment.

The funny part was that, almost all of us would go to visit Kennedy only when the games were on TV. When the finals were over, Kennedy would say, "See you all in June next year," haha.
Fast forward.

In 2002, I landed in Canada, and I couldn't wait to go to the Raptors game. Michael Jordan came to town, but I couldn't afford a ticket to watch him. I was so mad as I knew he was about to retire for good. It was a missed opportunity.

I have been to the games since then, and every time I am at the arena, I have tears in my eyes. It has been a long-time dream of mine to witness an NBA game live.

 Then, something special happened last week...

To make a long story short, this NBA season that is about to start, I will be reporting on the games on behalf of a local Toronto Radio Station! Did you see that? Yes. I will be attending games and interviewing the players, coaches and so on...

I have witnessed a few things in my life, but for me, this is a BIG deal. Never in my wildest dreams have I ever thought this would happen in my life. My love story with the NBA started in 1985 in a remote central African country, and now I get to interview the players 33 years later!

I think it is a hall of fame story. Don't you think?

Dreams do really come true!   

Moral of the story? Do you want to see your dreams come true 33 years from now? Just watch a game on a VHS and you will win trophies.

Always a pleasure
Patrick
The journeyman


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Journey to my wedding

Where do I start? I don't really know. As I am waiting for my flight at Kigali airport, with tears in my eyes, I am thinking about the last few days. There are no words that can explain what I have experienced in this month of December 2010. As Phil Collins said, it's another day in paradise. The person who said that words are powerful was so right. It took a few words from my then girlfriend, now wife (are you kidding me!!!!), to start a series of events that led me to this moment. She just said: “Honey, this long distance thing is killing me”. Having been in a couple of long distance relationships, I knew what she meant. This time, it was different. I had to do something, otherwise, this relationship would end up like the other ones. I had promised myself to do whatever it took to make this one work. As I hung up the phone, I thought I had to move mountains. I had to find a way to meet her. Originally, my intention was to visit her in July 2011, however, this felt like a cent

My Journey to my meeting with Bob Proctor

He is a hero of mine, I have studied his material for years, I had met him once and at that time he even signed one of the books he gave to me. But, spending three hours in an intimate setting, hearing him calling my name, him talking to me from a few feet away was just a dream come true. Bob Proctor is simply a genius. He has been studying the laws of success for over fifty years, but he has a simple way of explaining things that I found myself saying “wow” all the time. I have listened to his audios, read his book and saw hundreds of his videos. It has come to the point where I can finish his sentences before he finishes them. But seeing him live telling his story is another thing. Call me crazy, but I just believe that I will end up working with him. I don't know how or when this is going to happen, but I know I will. It is with the same belief that I know I will one day meet Michael Jordan and Nelson Mandela (being with Pathe'O few weeks ago made me feel I am not that far

My Journey to a meeting with Gandhi

You must be thinking that I lost my mind when I say that I met Gandhi. Don't worry. I am doing fine. I met him only in a story that I heard. Do you want to hear it? I know you do. So I will tell the story Long time ago, there was a lady in India whose son was eating too much sugar. She tried so many times in vain to ask him to stop eating sugar. After a while, she thought that Gandhi could help. She took her son to Gandhi and begged him to tell him to stop eating sugar. He carefully listen to the lady, and then went: “Please come back in two weeks, I will be able to help you” Two weeks later, the lady came back to see Gandhi. The Mahatma looked in the young boy's eyes and told him: “Please stop eating too much sugar”. That was it. The lady could not believe it. “Do you mean I had to wait two weeks for you to ask my son to stop eating sugar” she said. “Why couldn't tell him in the first place?” Then, Gandhi simply said: “You see madam. Two weeks ago, I was still eating sugar